Ten years ago, women could not walk through the center of campus without being harassed by catcalls and racial epithets, according to Penn Women's Center Director Elena DiLapi. But according to the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, the Penn Women's Center has since made great strides in overcoming those difficulties. In acknowledgement of these achievements, DiLapi and Women's Center Associate Director Gloria Gay, who have worked together for the past 18 years, will receive an award today from the commission for their "many efforts to promote inter-group harmony." Still adjusting to the center's new location on Locust Walk, DiLapi said the move is an even better award than the one she will receive today. She said the 300 people who attended the center's opening ceremonies and an increase in the numbers of people who are using the facility demonstrates the location's benefits. "We appreciate the support everyone has shown," DiLapi said. "And because of that support -- along with our new location -- women are no longer uncomfortable while walking to classes here." Social Work Professor Anu Rao nominated DiLapi and Gay for the award, noting the center's excellence in assisting victims of rape, sexual assault and racial and sexual harassment. Former U.S. Senator Harris Wofford (D-Pa.) is the commission's other award recipient. He is being honored for his recognition of the importance of health care reform, before the issue gained national attention. Vice Provost of University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum said this is the first time any University office has received an award of this caliber from the Philadelphia commission. "I think it is fabulous to have the Human Relations Commission give this award to the Penn community," McCoullum said. "I know both Eli and Gloria spent many hours providing support to Penn and serving as good neighbors to the people of Philadelphia." The Women's Center offers many support services to the residents of West Philadelphia, including counseling services. Now, for example, the center is currently assisting friends of suicide victim Kathy Change. The awards ceremony will take place at 10:45 a.m. today at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.