Enthusiasm, Cameraderie,Enthusiasm, Cameraderie,humor and plain oldEnthusiasm, Cameraderie,humor and plain oldraw talent have contributed to theEnthusiasm, Cameraderie,humor and plain oldraw talent have contributed to thesuccess of the six rookiesEnthusiasm, Cameraderie,humor and plain oldraw talent have contributed to thesuccess of the six rookieson the men's cross countryEnthusiasm, Cameraderie,humor and plain oldraw talent have contributed to thesuccess of the six rookieson the men's cross countryteam. Enthusiasm. Sometimes the biggest contribution a freshman can make to a varsity team is by generating energy from the sidelines. But this year's Quakers cross country team is different. It boasts freshmen who not only create enthusiasm, but who can also run. Fast. Real fast. Six Penn freshmen have finished in the varsity's top seven during the year, helping to rebuild a program that finished last in the Ivy League a year ago. The energy they have provided to the team was felt right from the start. A freshman has finished among the top five Quakers in each of Penn's races this season, and, more often than not, at least five freshmen can be found among the team's top 10. Included in this group are freshmen Scott Clayton and Joe Campagna, who have established themselves as dependable top-five runners over the last month. "[Their talent and energy] was shown from the first day," Penn coach Charlie Powell said. "The upperclassmen came by and realized that, wow, these guys were no joke. Making the varsity team was going to be a serious issue." The freshmen themselves expressed some surprise at their early impact. "I never expected to be a key performer," Clayton said. "I was kind of intimidated, but I worked hard to earn respect, and it has paid off." The other freshmen agreed, saying that they originally were looking toward future years to make their mark. "We didn't know what to expect," John Kroll said. "We knew we had a lot of talent. By the time we started racing, though, we knew we could be good now and that we wouldn't have to wait." Jason Greene's aspirations weren't as high as some as his fellow rookies. He simply wanted to get away from his home state of South Dakota. "The coaches had a lot of interest in me," Greene said. "Plus I didn't like South Dakota and wanted to get far away." While stopping short of calling this the best crop of freshmen that has arrived at Penn in his 11 year tenure, Powell did have high praise for their talent. "We always go for a good class." Powell said. "Nothing out of the ordinary happened to get so many quality runners together. We expect loads in the future. They are just starting to figure things out. They are not close to their potential yet, but they are very, very good." With so many strong runners, the possibility for competition and rivalry among the freshmen would seem likely, but that has been far from the truth. They quickly formed tight bonds during a week-long summer training camp in Bucks County, Pa. "There wasn't much testing," Clayton said. "We tried to feel each other out, but we didn't want to start any grudges." The other rookies agreed, saying that trying to keep up to the veterans was tough enough without needing to worry about competing among themselves. "Camp was cool," Sean MacMillan said. "But I didn't realize [all the other freshmen] would be chumps." Joking around is common with these guys, with inside jokes and jibes flying around constantly. Jokes about Mark Granshaw's lack of coordination ("I don't mean to fall during training runs," Granshaw quips back) and their abuse of senior Neil Riordan are two of the most common subjects. Their joking and relaxed nature have been major boosts to the atmosphere in the Quakers locker room this year and have helped elevate the entire team's performance. "The energy really is there," Powell said. "That is the key, and it's kind of unique. When you look at this group, it is not only the energy and the camaraderie, but also that they genuinely seem to like each other." The Class of 2000 includes last year's high school state champs from New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and South Dakota. One of the big challenges for this talented group is their reintroduction to a team-running concept. "It's an adjustment. We're used to being out in front," Kroll said. "We had to re-learn pack running and how to run a full five-mile race." While a couple of them liked the longer collegiate distance -- five miles versus only three in high school -- most had some difficulty adapting, referring to the race as "really long." "The first couple of races were bizarre," Sean MacMillan said. "It's been different. We're good, but everyone else is too." The energy, jokes and talent have combined to produce a freshmen class that has excelled by working together. They know they are all good and are looking to dominate as a team in the future. "We all try to contribute as much as we can now," Clayton said, "But we'd be lying if we said we didn't look forward to being up front in future years." Powell is enthusiastic about of theme improve and gain experience during the coming years. "It is fun. The whole world is opening up for these guys," Powell said. "These guys are realizing that, gee, this is great and that they can compete at this level. A tremendous amount of energy is exchanged. That's what is wonderful. They are on the tip of a huge iceberg. They could be unbelievable."