New deal allows Comcast toNew deal allows Comcast totelecast soccer, footbll and hoops In years past, if you wanted to catch a Penn sporting event on television, your only bet was to catch the rare men's basketball matchup that aired on ESPN or view a Quakers football game on UTV13. But this season, the athletic department has reached an agreement with Comcast Cablevision of Philadelphia to carry an array of Quakers games, including football, men's and women's soccer and men's basketball, according to the Penn athletic communications department. Comcast's coverage kicks off tonight with an airing of the Penn men's soccer team's game against St. Joseph's. The contest, which actually begins at 3:30 p.m., will be tape-delayed and broadcast at 8 p.m. The games will appear on the Comcast Network, a channel launched this past summer that serves Comcast cable systems throughout New Jersey and the Philadelphia area. Approximately 1.2 million households will be able to view the Quakers in action. But for most Penn students, whether they live on or off campus, the only way to view the game will be the old-fashioned way. Because neither ResNet nor Wade Cablevision is affiliated with Comcast, the only alternative for students is to go down to Rhodes Field and watch the action live. In addition to today's men's soccer match, Comcast will broadcast this Saturday's 1:30 p.m. football game against Columbia at 8 p.m. The October 16 women's soccer match against Villanova will also air that evening at 8 p.m. And two more football games are on Comcast's schedule: the November 2 homecoming game against Yale and the November 9 match at Princeton. Although both games have an afternoon start time, they will air at 8 p.m. Additionally, Comcast is tentatively scheduled to broadcast nine men's basketball games this coming season, including all of Penn's Big 5 matchups and both games against Princeton. The athletic department is also negotiating to have Comcast cover women's basketball, wrestling and men's and women's lacrosse games. · Comcast's broadcasting debut will feature a battle between Soccer Seven rivals Penn and St. Joe's. The Quakers, off to a rocky 1-5 start, look to capture their second win of the season at Rhodes Field. In the past two years, the Hawks have had their way with Penn -- defeating the Quakers, 3-1, two years ago and, 3-0, last year. The Soccer Seven tradition is now in its 18th season. Besides Penn and St. Joe's, the group includes Drexel, La Salle, Philadelphia Textile, Temple and Villanova. Last season, the Explorers won the unofficial conference with a 3-1-1 record, followed by the Quakers and Hawks, who tied for second place. In its recent history, the Quakers have had more success in Soccer Seven games than in Ivy League contests. Last season, the Quakers went 3-2 in Soccer Seven games, and 1-6 in the Ancient Eight. This season, the Quakers sole victory came against crosstown rival Drexel.