Black alumni to pairBlack alumni to pairup with currentBlack alumni to pairup with currentundergraduates The Black Student League and the Black Alumni Society are coming together in an unusual partnership to develop a new mentoring program based on "faith, hope and love." The program plans to allow W.E.B. DuBois College House alumni to "give back" to the undergraduate community by offering support in several areas -- including course planning, campus life and academic tutoring. By utilizing their resources, BAS members said they hope to make students' college experiences more fulfilling. A host of supporters attended a kick-off event for the program last Thursday at DuBois House. University Chaplain William Gipson opened the gathering by describing those involved in the program as "soldiers." "We are intent on keeping hope alive -- and it takes love and faith to accomplish our goal," Gipson said. "The kind of love that is shown through this mentoring program will keep faith alive." DuBois Faculty Master Howard Stevenson said the new program fits into the overall goals of the house. "It takes a community to raise a whole village," the Education professor said, adding that DuBois House creates a "safe haven" for minority students. The mentor program is this year's first major initiative that integrates the academic and cultural aspects of the house. "We all need help to support us through our struggles -- and this mentor program will support students on a number of levels," Stevenson said. Focusing on "one-on-one" sessions, the program is individually designed and formatted to sustain long-term relationships between the alumni and current students. Also, a unique matching process will create the sets of partners for the project. People can apply for positions in the program through Friday. University President Judith Rodin served as the night's keynote speaker, focusing on the coordination that developed the mentor program. "It really is wonderful for me to see the Black Alumni Society coming and joining the students in this project to build a community together," Rodin said. "The students are very active in voicing what they want -- and I think this program is answering their calls." She said the mentoring provides a "wonderful opportunity of interchange of knowledge" and stressed the importance of tutoring, especially for students who "feel in a minority." BSL representatives were also present to describe their role in the new program, which is one of their key projects this semester. Many students said they thought the project was "unusual and needed," and added that they hoped to become involved with it.