After only one year in post, Jenious leaves U. to be with, care for her elderly parents After serving for one year as executive director of the Office of Affirmative Action, Anita Jenious abruptly left the position last Friday to take a similar post near her home in Tennessee. Jenious made the decision to return home in order to care for her elderly parents. She has accepted the position of affirmative action director at Tennessee State University in Nashville. In dealing with the "unexpected blow," University President Judith Rodin's Chief of Staff Stephen Schutt announced that Social Work Professor Howard Arnold will act as the office's interim director. Schutt said the search for a new director will begin immediately, adding that he hopes to fill the position within the next few months. "We understand why Anita left, but it is very unfortunate to lose her," he said. "It is crucial to find a qualified replacement as soon as possible, but searches are always unpredictable." In a letter circulated Tuesday, Schutt explained that Arnold, who formerly chaired a committee on affirmative action programs, "will be present in the office two days each week and will provide invaluable guidance, oversight and support." Before leaving the University last Friday, Jenious addressed a group at Houston Hall about the "changing role of affirmative action." "Anita did a very good job while she was here," Schutt said. "She was very lucky to find an opening so quickly." Provost Stanley Chodorow said the University is unfortunate to lose Jenious after such a short period of time. According to Chodorow, her primary roles included working with staff issues and overseeing search processes. He said Jenious' departure will not affect the implementation of Rodin's new minority permanence plan. However, when the plan was announced two weeks ago, Jenious became immediately involved in discussions on the issue. "The University needs to clarify its goals," Jenious said last week in reference to the new minority permanence plan. "It will take commitment from faculty, administration and students alike to increase the presence of people of color on this campus." Jenious came to Penn from Vanderbilt University, where she served as assistant director of the school's Opportunity Development Center. Arnold, her interim replacement, has taught at the University since 1969. In addition, he has served as a member of the Faculty Senate Executive Committee and as Faculty Master of W.E.B. DuBois College House. "We are very sorry about [Jenious'] departure," Schutt said. "President Rodin and I are delighted that Arnold has agreed to provide this important service to the office and the University."