DNC's Dodd highlight Clinton's first term, praises direct studet lending College students will have an easy choice in November's presidential election -- if they heed Democratic National Chairperson Chris Dodd's advice. In a teleconference with 30 college newspaper reporters Thursday, the Senator from Connecticut outlined the Democratic view on issues of particular concern to college students. "Obviously there are some very clear differences here -- this is not a race where you have to get hypothetical, because we are talking about the president," Dodd said. "We know where he's been in the last 45 months as president and where Bob Dole has been as the majority leader of the Senate." Dodd then described President Clinton's proposals for educational subsidies and programs, highlighting the achievements of Clinton's past term. Clinton's proposals include providing $1,500 yearly scholarships to students who keep a "B" average and a $10,000 tax deduction for tuition expenses. Clinton also advocates extending the direct lending program, which allows colleges to grant student loans without going through banks. The program, already in place in 1,750 schools, provides more loans at cheaper rates, according to Dodd. Dodd also praised Clinton's AmeriCorps program, which gives students money for college in exchange for community service. "This president has come along and said that is a great idea? where we ask people not to go overseas, but maybe to go down the street, or the next state or town and help out with needs that America has," Dodd said. Approximately 25,000 college students per year have joined AmeriCorps in the two-and-a-half years since the program began. The students have received an average of about $4,720 towards college, Dodd said. Dodd criticized Republican attempts to cut federal education funding, citing a 39 percent rise in tuition over the past 10 years. Dodd explained that the Republicans have proposed cuts of $10 billion from higher education assistance and another $20 billion from elementary and secondary school funding -- cuts that Dodd said are the largest ever proposed. Republicans have also proposed to eliminating the Department of Education, a move Dodd criticizes, noting that it provides three-quarters of all students financial aid. "You can talk about some agencies being gotten rid of," Dodd said. "But? eliminating the one department that is going to be absolutely critical in providing the labor force to allow us to be competitive in a global economy obviously doesn't make a whole lot of sense to people." Dodd said Congress is currently deadlocked because of Republican efforts to pass at least $2.2 million in education cuts.