Has served as interim SAS dean twice, deputy provost once Physics Professor Walter Wales begins his tenure as interim dean of the School of Arts and Sciences today. Wales has served as interim dean twice before -- in 1987 and in the summer of 1991. Wales replaces former SAS Dean Rosemary Stevens, who resigned from the position two weeks ago. Stevens stepped down to work on a 25th anniversary edition of her book, American Medicine and the Public Interest. University President Judith Rodin announced Wales' appointment at a meeting of the University trustees Friday. Wales was the University's deputy provost from 1992 to 1995. He was on sabbatical for the 1996 spring semester. But Wales is not likely to be considered for the permanent position of SAS dean, according to Provost Stanley Chodorow. "I didn't think it was wise to put somebody in who would be a candidate because it complicates the search," Chodorow explained. A committee will be formed by the end of this month to search for a new dean. Rodin said she hopes to have a permanent dean in place by the start of the 1997-1998 school year. During his tenure, Wales said he hopes to keep the school in forward motion. "Anyone who is acting dean for a period as long as a year has to make sure the school continues to move ahead," Wales said. In 1987, Wales was appointed interim dean as SAS moved from the Michael Aiken administration to the Hugo Sonnenschein administration. He also served as interim dean after Sonnenschein resigned and before Stevens took the position in 1991. Chodorow said Wales is an excellent choice because of his previous experience, both as deputy provost and with SAS. "He knows the school intimately," Chodorow said. Wales was supposed to teach two classes this semester, Physics 1 and Physics 30, but will only teach Physics 30 after his term gets underway. Another Physics professor will teach Physics 1.