Rumors that program would be eliminated prove inaccurate Successfully completing a year-long battle for funds, the Latin American Cultures Program is now offering a new major for University students. But the major's establishment has been dampened by widespread belief that the program, which already offers a minor, faced elimination. On Sunday, students received a message on Internet newsgroups saying the Latin American Studies major and minor were in jeopardy due to budget constraints. According to United Minorities Council Vice Chairperson and College sophomore Olivia Troye, officials said two weeks ago that the entire program was in danger of elimination. Now that the major has been approved, though, students are trying to sort through the recent communication problems. "Although the communication error was unfortunate, we are gratified that it was only that -- an error," said College sophomore Debralee Santos, the UMC's representative for La Asociacion Cultural de Estudiantes Latino Americanos (ACELA). "The new major is tremendous in terms of advancing the opportunity for a real study of Latin American culture and history," Santos added. Latin American Cultures Director and Romance Languages Professor Jorge Salessi said he had to overcome budget cutbacks to create the new major and continue the minor. According to Salessi, a committee of students and faculty worked throughout last year to organize and promote the new major, which received final acceptance with a vote Friday. The Latin American Studies major will be classified as a double major because it has been formed to supplement a variety of current University majors. The program is cross-listed with at least five separate departments, including History, Music and Political Science. "It is a very special major that has been designed to enrich the focus of any other discipline," Salessi explained. "Some students are using it as a double major with Anthropology, Economics or Sociology -- but there are no limitations." Twelve classes comprise the "innovative and exciting" major that goes into affect this year, Salessi said. Many students said they are excited about the new major, but some expressed concern about the uncertainty that plagued the subject throughout the last two weeks. Most students interested in the major did not find out about its permanent status until last night. "When I heard all the rumors I became very concerned, especially because I am planning on majoring in Latin American Studies," Troye said. "Of course I am very happy and relieved that the program is now on track." College senior Emmanuel Mej'a, president of El Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MeChA), said he did not know why the communication was so poor, but feels "very excited about the new initiatives." During the next few weeks, Mej'a said he hopes to "get the word out" about the Latin American Cultures major and minor.