Dole mingles with audience during her FridayDole mingles with audience during her Fridayspeech to the Philadelphia Women's Luncheon Elizabeth Dole has formed a distinct habit as an orator, talking and walking -- at the same time. While in Philadelphia, she entertained a ballroom filled with over 1,000 people at the Philadelphia Women's Luncheon at the Twelve Caesars on City Avenue. Although the purpose of the Friday afternoon speech was to promote Dole's agenda, she concentrated her speech on women's issues. Dole maneuvered around crowded tables while incorporating many audience members into her speech -- placing in the spotlight anyone from a 7-year-old girl to a retired businesswoman. "Bob Dole will work hard for a better America," she said. "There will be an all-out war on crime and drugs." Cherie Ryans was called upon to share her perspective on crime. On Sept. 2, 1990, Ryans' son was killed outside Cinemagic 3 Theaters, on the corner of 40th and Walnut. "The worst thing that could ever happen to a mother, happened to me," Ryans said. "And it was even more horrible when my family had to sit through four hung juries." Five years ago, Ryans founded Message of Memories Shared (MOMS), a support group aimed at reducing violence in her neighborhood. She has also formed a group in Philadelphia to help people deal with violence and its consequences. Dole said her husband will appoint judges who enforce strict penalties on murders. "I thought she was fabulous -- especially the way she addressed the various women's issues," said Wharton sophomore Vanessa Clumeck. "By having mothers speak about problems, Liz Dole brought the issues closer to home." Clumeck said she also enjoyed Dole's refusal to criticize President Bill Clinton, while "pointing out the facts" about his administration. Dole spent much of the afternoon explaining her husband's agenda. Among the key points were the plan to cut taxes, implement the voucher system for school choice and reduce crime. "Elizabeth Dole's speech profiled how Bob Dole helps women in business and the work force," said the President of College Republicans, Wharton senior Tony Andreoli. "She has already done so much for the country -- with everything from her Red Cross work to helping implement brake lights. But Elizabeth Dole will not be meddlesome in the her husband's job and in the White House," he added. Several members of the audience, which was 90 percent female, expressed concern over Hillary Clinton's role in White House affairs. "We think she will make the best role model for young women," said the President of Montgomory Council of Republican Women's Group, Ethel Fisher, who has two grandsons who attend the University. "Elizabeth Dole seems like she has two feet on the ground -- not like the way Hillary has been acting." Dole focused on the various roles of women and emphasized the importance of motherhood and supporting a family. She called being a wife "one of the most important jobs there is." President of College Democrats, College junior Adrienne Klembara enjoyed Dole's speech, but disagreed with some of her points of discussion. "Although Mrs. Dole may be trying to distance herself from Mrs. Clinton; both women are extraordinary role models for young women and have had respected careers in public life," Klembara said. "Mrs. Dole should not try to diminish her accomplishments under the guise of trying to fit into a more 'traditional' role," she added. By spending twice the allotted amount of time scheduled, Dole pleased the audience by meeting and posing for pictures with all who attended. A special group picture was taken of Dole and members of Villanova University's Delta Delta Delta sorority chapter who attended the speech to hear their alumnae. "Right now, I am committing my life to getting my husband's message out because I believe in him," Dole said. "But I will be excited to go back to my position with the Red Cross."