Handprint, fingerprint recognition, systems under consideration This year, students' unique physical characteristics might be used for more than just attracting attention -- they could be an access ticket to the Quadrangle and eventually all Residential Living locations. The University is in the market for futuristic identification technology including hand prints, iris scans, and fingerprint recognition. Officials are currently in a preliminary design phase to add a higher degree of security technology for many access control areas on campus. A long-term contract was approved last month with Sensormatic, the company that handled all security issues for the Olympic Village during the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, according to Executive Vice President John Fry. Security Director Chris Algard said the multi-million dollar contract will make improvements in the police department and campus security. Improvements will include new buildings, lights, cameras and alarms. But the most unique aspect of the plans concern implementing new ways of combining personal verification with electronic, biometric devices in residential dorms. "These are the technologies we're looking at positively to uplift or upgrade dorm security," Algard said. "The new systems are the wave of the future. Penn can either catch on now or later." The technology is meant to improve access control by being more effective and efficient. Biometric readers verify the person's identification and controls tailgating at an entrance. Algard is considering a portal system where a student would use card identification to pass through an initial gate. Once inside the chamber, a biometric device would be used to positively identify the person and a second door would open. Penn would be the first university to use the biometric portal system. The entire process takes approximately eight seconds. New York University currently uses hand geometry, but does not have the chamber system yet. Portals are currently being used at NASA, General Motors and several residences located in urban cities. "All biometric identification has great promise for the future," George Schneider, a senior consulting engineer for NCR Corporation, said in a statement. "It will have widespread use within the next few years." Algard said his next step is to work closely with the Quad's Residential Faculty Council, the Residential Advisory Board and Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum to gauge what students and faculty want out of the new system. He stressed that he is looking for feedback from the entire University community. "Since security is a top priority at Penn, any improvement is important," said RAB Vice Chairperson and Undergraduate Assembly member Josh Rockoff, a College junior. "It is awesome that the technology we see on Mission: Impossible could come to our campus so quickly." Rockoff said the new system would secure the residence halls from unwanted visitors, providing a "truly safe" environment. Algard hopes to test some of the new technology as early as this fall. Possible prototypes include the Quad, King's Court and Modern Languages College House. Algard is giving his initial presentation on the new security to McCoullum's office in September. There are no definite plans yet, but the Sensormatic management is currently working with University officials to create options. "At first I wanted to tackle the Quad first since it will be the greatest challenge," Algard said. "But the 4,000 transactions a day may be too much. I think the [Modern Languages College House] will most likely be our trial." With the new system, residential guards will patrol assigned areas instead of remaining in one place. Algard predicts that the force might eventually shrink to half its present size, but will involve higher quality guards. He said it will no longer be possible for guards to sleep or slack during their shifts. Visitors will be permitted into residence halls until a scheduled time and guards will be patrolling to assist visitors who need their help. During peak hours, like lunchtime, Algard said there is a chance that the portal system will not be used. Security guards might use observation control during extremely busy hours. "Our single largest security risk is giving out keys to people who are locked out of rooms," Algard explained. "Under any new system, guards will physically unlock doors instead of handing out keys." Algard said he hopes to have fewer but more effective guards in connection with the new technology. "We are just putting the technology on the table," Algard said. "We all have to decide together what is best for the University community."