After years of searching and months of scientific and economic analyses, Executive Director of the Physical Plant James Wargo finally found his gem -- a paver that can effectively replace the bluestones on Locust Walk. The central walkway of the University, along with several campus structures, are scheduled to undergo major facelifts this summer. Beginning this month, the bluestones that line Locust Walk will be replaced with bitumous paver from Hastings. Wargo predicts that installing the paver will cost half as much as installing new bluestones would. Each three-by-four foot block of bluestone costs $500, he explained. The project is scheduled to be completed by the beginning of winter. Although the changes to Locust Walk will be the most noticeable renovation taking place this summer, Wargo said there are several other important projects in the works. Construction on the Paley Bridge, which is commonly called the Blue Bridge, is scheduled to begin on June 10. Because the bridge runs over an Amtrack station, the University was told it can only do repairs at night. In order to be cost efficient, the entire bridge will be lifted onto the parking lot next to Franklin Field where repairs can be completed on a normal schedule. "Anyone trying to get to Bower Field or Levy Tennis Pavilions definitely isn't going to be using the bridge this summer," Wargo said. "They are going to have a long walk on Walnut Street." Several long term renovation projects will be continued this summer. Major work will be performed on College Hall, which is slated for completion in 1998. Also, a new roof is being built on the Music Building and construction is continuing on the Perelman Quad. The University won city and state awards last month for their restoration of Logan Hall. "We are taking our time and doing all our work thoroughly," Wargo said. "If we did everything in a short period of time, we'd have what we have out there right now -- which is not good for the University or the students." Wargo hopes to do both a thorough and fast restoration of the Walk. The University installed the current bluestones in 1977, with the expectation that the material would last 30 years. But deterioration began after just 10 years. Wargo said the short-life of the bluestone resulted from several influences. "Over the years, more and more vehicles were accessing the Walk for whatever reasons," Wargo said. "But that was a problem because Locust Walk was specifically made for walking." Also, the 1977 plans called for three-inch thick bluestone, but the University used stones that were approximately two inches because of "availability problems," Wargo said. The disappointing bluestone expenditure led the University on a nineteen-year search to find the best replacement for Locust Walk. Wargo visited quarries in several states, continually searching for a solution. "I brought back samples that we performed tests on," Wargo explained. "We had University geologists do freeze-thaw simulations and tested what salt did to them." The search for the perfect rock ended when the University decided that bitumous paver was the best replacement. The paver from Hasting was placed on the 38th bridge five years ago -- Wargo said the material is holding up well. Hasting paver is a coal product that is mostly composed of tar, but also has a mixture of various stones. The University is currently producing the documents necessary for bidding and Wargo predicts that the paver will be half the cost of the bluestones. "I learned a whole lot about stones and the University definitely made an informed choice," Wargo said. "I think the paver will save the University money in the long run and it will be maintainable." Bluestone will remain in certain sections of the campus, such as the Perelman Quadrangle and the Anneberg Center. According to Wargo, future vehicular traffic will be restricted on Locust Walk.