A federal jury awarded $500,000 to each of three MOVE plaintiffs last Monday -- Ramona Africa, the estate of MOVE founder John Africa, and the estate of Frank Africa -- 11 years after a police bomb turned a West Philadelphia block into a fire that resulted in 11 deaths. Seven jurors found that the authorities used excessive force against the primarily black, radical, back-to-nature group founded in the early 1970s. And the $1.5 million in verdicts could greatly increase after the winning lawyers submit their bills for the prevailing plaintiffs. Following three months of court testimony and nine days of deliberation, the jury of five men and two women sent a message to Philadelphia's former police commissioner, Gregore Sambor, and former fire commissioner, William Richmond, who directed the police assault on the MOVE house May 13, 1985. In an unusual decision, the jury decided that the pair of officers should be forced to think about their actions for the next 11 years -- reflecting the time it took for the plaintiffs to get their day in court. Every week until the year 2007 Sambor and Richmond might have to pay $1 a week each in punitive damages. "Miss Africa said from the beginning of the trial that she was only after justice -- and that's what was done," said Ramona Africa's lawyer, Andre L. Dennis of Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young. "The monetary value of the damages is not significant. I think that justice was done is this case." Although they were disappointed with their loss, city officials had feared a larger monetary award and have actually paid larger amounts of money to settle previous lawsuits that resulted from the disaster. Mayor Ed Rendell announced before the trial that the case could cost taxpayers "millions and millions." It is still unclear whether the police officers will have to pay damages. The city's general practice is to cover such awards against public servants, but Rendell administration officials said they are going to review the case before making a decision. Attorney John Morris, who represented Sambor, said he "was very disappointed in the verdict in its entirety." Richmond himself commented, "I say it is a loss -- a total loss." U.S. District Judge Louis Pollak still must rule on motions from Sambor and Richmond saying that they should have immunity for their actions. If Pollack would grant the two immunity, the verdicts against them would be set aside. The verdict against the city would not change, however. "This has been a very long trial and extended deliberation," Pollak said. "The trial has been marked from the outset by great diligence and perseverance. I am very thankful to both the jurors and the lawyers for all their hard work." Last Friday, the jury announced to Pollak that it had reached a verdict on only one defendant and was deadlocked on the two others. One juror, who was reportedly worn out by the trial, was dismissed, and the remaining seven returned to court to try again. Fincourt Shelton, who represented the estate of Frank James Africa believes the dismissal of the juror played a key role in the resulting verdict. "I do not believe the jury would have been able to reach an unanimous verdict if the one juror did not leave on Friday," Shelton said. "The dismissal gave the remaining jurors a chance to come up with the right verdict -- and they did. I know the officers will remember Ramona Africa, John Africa and Frank James Africa every week for 11 years."