Gender Equity Advisory Group prevents 'slippage' inGender Equity Advisory Group prevents 'slippage' inequality between men's and women's athletic programs Title IX regulations have affected universities across the nation since the law's inception in 1972 -- and Penn has not been an exception. The Athletic Department formed the Gender Equity Advisory Group in November to ensure that the University complies with the terms of its Title IX settlement. The Athletic Department and Penn women athletes and coaches reached the settlement last September. Since its creation, the Equity Group has served as a watchdog to the University's efforts to make the women's athletic program equal with the men's program. "We're there to make sure there's no slippage," said Nursing Professor Ruth McCorkle, an intramural softball coach and chair of the committee. "If students have a problem, they should contact me." The Equity Group has been working to ensure that women's facilities are up to par with those the men's teams use. The women's locker rooms in Weightman Hall and Hollenback Center have been targeted as areas that need improvement. The group meets twice a year to discuss the University's progress, and at its most recent meeting it toured the University's athletic facilities. According to McCorkle, the group has had a great deal of success. And others on the task force voiced similar sentiments. "I wouldn't be serving if I didn't think we'd be effective," Assistant Vice Provost for University Life Barbara Cassel said. "We'll be successful." Matt Schroeder, the men's track and field captain and one of two student-athletes serving on the committee, said the University has followed through on the terms of the settlement. "Penn has made some definite moves in the right direction and I think in the future it will get better and better," said Schroeder, a College senior. "Just about everything the University set [out] to do they have already done or are in the process of doing." The group members agreed that while the University has made improvements in gender equity, the process is not easy. McCorkle said the main difficulty is financial. "The question is whether it can be done in a timely manner," she said. "And that always comes down to the budget." Cassell added that gender equity in athletics cannot happen immediately. "We're working towards equity in Penn athletics," she said. "This is a process -- it's not going to happen overnight." McCorkle noted that the University's ongoing recertification effort with the National Collegiate Athletic Association affects the gender equity issue. "With the NCAA recertification going on, I think it's even more important to show that women's sports are an important part of Penn," McCorkle said. In implementing the terms of the equity lawsuit, the group has communicated regularly with women athletes and coaches at the University. And Athletic Director Steve Bilsky regularly puts out memoranda to the women's teams explaining the progress that has been made, McCorkle added. But she said more attention must be paid to women's athletics to ensure that gender equity occurs. And Schroeder said to accomplish that goal, the media must give women's athletics more coverage. "A lot of the responsibility falls on other organizations," Schroeder said. "The media in particular should be more attune to women's athletics. I don't think television or newspapers give women's athletics enough coverage -- and women's athletics is just as exciting." In addition to following up on the renovation of athletic facilities, the group has begun studying safety issues. Alarm systems are scheduled to be installed in and around the athletic facilities for both men and women, McCorkle said. "But it's particularly important for women who may be there late at night," she added.