Former New York State Supreme Court Justice Bruce Wright grew up celebrating a "Black History Week." And Wright said he appreciates the change to a month-long commemoration. Wright dealt with this and several other issues in a speech to approximately 50 people at the Penn Law School last week. Wright came to the University to speak about "issues that are pertinent to [the Black] community," according to first-year Law student Kanika Williams. The Black Law Students Association sponsored the speech as a part of Black History Month in an effort to keep with the group's theme of "Unity within the Black Community." Wright interspersed the speech -- delivered to an audience of primarily Law students -- with jokes and quirky anecdotes. He called racism "America's nastiest public dilemma," discussing it in the context of the black community and, more specifically, the courthouse. According to Wharton graduate student Dwayne Rayner, one of the judge's most appealing aspects was his accurate historical references. Citing examples of racism he had encountered in the justice system, Wright challenged the next generation to "civilize white America." Wright also discussed unity within the black community. He said a "divisive tribalism" still existed within the black individual today. He explained that this only exacerbated a situation in which "blacks have become an endangered species." Wright placed much of the blame for this problem on the justice system's use of the death penalty as a way to "deter black males from raping white women." He listed statistics and cited such cases as the Dred Scott decision and Plessy vs. Ferguson, to support his argument. Wright aimed his message directly at the "African American bourgeoisie," a term used freely by both the speaker and the audience. "He spoke of issues that affect me personally as an African American woman," first-year Law student Michele Simms said. Other audience members voiced similar opinions about the speech. "It was very informative," said second-year Law student Baye Adofo, who organized the event. "He was on the front lines of the criminal justice system." Adofo added that Wright was able to provide background to the audience of aspiring lawyers and judges. Wright posed many rhetorical questions and offered examples of the subjugation of blacks in America. He also kept the attention of the audience by placing historical information within a contemporary context, referring, for instance, to the Speaker of the House as "Gingrich Kahn." And he referred to the American justice system as being "too pale and too male," to do any good. "Is America beyond redemption?" he asked. "Would things be better if all judges were black?" According to Simms, "as long as there is dialogue about these issues," the bleak situation Wright portrayed could improve.