When Timothy Baker resigned as director of the Penn Relays earlier this month, he expressed much concern for the future of the prestigious event. While other University officials do not necessarily share his pessimism, all agree that the Relays are facing an era of transition and turbulence. In 1987, Baker took over the helm of the Relays, the largest non-Olympic track and field event in the world. During his tenure he turned the event into both a social and financial success. In his letter of resignation, Baker cited several accomplishments that may be in jeopardy if the Athletic Department continues on the same path it followed during the final months of Baker's tenure. For instance, Baker noted that between the years 1987 and 1995, "the number of people competing in the Relays rose from about 8,000 to in excess of 15,000." This included a remarkable increase in the number of participants from distant countries, which Baker felt adds to the spirit of the Relays. "I am particularly proud of the fact that we now have an average of 17 schools each year from Jamaica in the West Indies, and feel that we played some part in the fact that this small country had 12 medalists at the most recent World Championships, 11 of whom had competed in the Relays," Baker stated in his letter. The tremendous leap in participation in the Relays was also due to the increase in high school competitors, Special Olympians, blind athletes, masters (over 40) athletes, pre-high school children and non-elite adult athletes. The Penn Relays also became a strong moneymaker under Baker. "Between 1987 and 1993, income from the event rose from $231,966 to $656,291, an increase of 183 percent," Baker said. "Expenses during that period went from $231,511 to $498,487, an increase of 115 percent. "While my attention has been exclusively on increasing the quality of the meet and not on profit, simple mathematics tells us that the profit of the meet rose from $445 to $96,982, an increase of 21,682 percent," he added. Despite these successes, Baker views the future more ominously, noting that the Athletic Department has frequently acted unfavorably towards the Relays. Baker's greatest complaint was that the Athletic Department is cutting the money given to visiting teams by $91,100, in an attempt to increase its expected profits to over $130,000. "You are dealing with an event that is national in scope and not only makes money, but has the chance to make even more money," Baker said. "To keep itself above water, [the Athletic Department] looks at the Penn Relays basically as a cash cow that they can use." Baker said he believes this philosophy could be devastating to the Relays, and undercuts the meet's stature as a community institution. He said the department needs to be doubling or tripling the amount of money given to visiting teams. Baker outlined other decisions the Athletic Department made which he said have been detrimental to the Relays, and will continue to have negative effects in the future. In his letter of resignation, Baker warned that the major donors were all concerned about the future of the Relays. Furthermore, Baker noted that control over sponsorship was taken away from him in 1993 and given to Assistant Athletic Director for Public Relations and Marketing Fran Connors. Baker said this change has resulted in the cancellation of several races due to lack of sponsorship. Baker was especially concerned for the future of the Relays because of its importance as a social institution with a national scope. Almost 50,000 people filled Franklin Field on the final day of last year's Relays, but three times as many people came to Philadelphia simply "for the party -- to feel good," Baker said. Dave Johnson, the newly-named interim director of the Penn Relays, said he has no doubt that this year's party will be as "tremendous" as ever, despite his predecessor's concerns. "It would take an enormous amount of people to say, 'We don't want it,' for the Relays to implode," said Johnson. "It won't happen -- it can't happen." Johnson served as assistant director of the Relays under Baker. The short term future for the Relays looks positive, according to Johnson, who said he has "been given every assurance that I have the authority and the money to go ahead and make the Relays work at the level they've worked in the past years." Johnson said he believes that his relations with the Athletic Department, which were consistently better than those between Baker and the department, will help in pulling off another successful year. "I don't think I've ever had problems in relation to the department," he said. "In fact, because there were strained relations, I became the go-between." Johnson said he did not share Baker's concerns for the future. He added that while the meet has had some problems each year, the Relays staff has always handled them. Johnson added that the relocation of the Relays office from Weightman Hall to Hutchinson Gymnasium could present some problems. "But if there's a difficulty, we'll overcome it," he said. "Exactly how, I don't know yet. But I have no doubt that we'll get what we need done." Despite warnings from Baker to avoid the position because it lacks adequate support and stability, Johnson felt confident that he would receive the support he needs. "To me, sufficient support meant a proper budget, which we have, and a proper staff, which we are putting together," Johnson said, adding that he considered a position on anything other than an interim basis unreasonable. Johnson also said that the Relays' office is, "operating from budgetary assistance that is on a par with last year." And while Baker fears that the office will not be able to issue as many airline tickets to visiting participants, Johnson said that his office is busy writing out tickets right now. While Johnson said he sees no clouds on the Relays' immediate horizon, he added that he cannot guarantee as successful a future in the long run. "I'm not averse to looking at every major aspect of the Relays," said Johnson. "Over a period of time, everything should be examined to make sure we're on the right track." University President Judith Rodin had no comment on the future of the Penn Relays, except that she trusted Athletic Director Steve Bilsky and the rest of the Athletic Department staff to do their job. In a prepared statement following Baker's resignation, Bilsky said the Relays will "continue to be one of the premier sporting events in the world. "I remain tremendously excited about the future of the Penn Relays," he added. "We expect to increase participation and exposure for the event, and to allow the Relays to play an even more prominent role in the Philadelphia community."