and Kate Khatib Spring break tour companies often tout inexpensive deals that can't be beat. But according to some area travel agents, students should examine packages closely before making their final plans. Jerry DeSanto, a public relations agent for the Better Business Bureau in Manhattan, said the Bureau receives many complaints each spring break season dealing with so-called "Spring Break Companies" who advertise themselves to college students as having great deals and cut prices. "This is not like buying a pair of pants," DeSanto said. "You're putting your hard-earned money and your faith in the hands of these companies." DeSanto urges students to take several precautions when choosing a trip plan. "Always use a credit card. Call the airline itself to verify your tickets. Mainly, choose a company you know something about. Make sure it has a good business record," he said, adding that students should check companies' validity by speaking to a travel agent or calling an organization such as the Better Business Bureau. Most students are planning trips to popular resort areas such as Jamaica, Cancun or the Bahamas. College trip plans to these areas run somewhere in the $500 to $700 price range. College junior Rachel Rothman of the Penn Student Agencies Travel warned students to ask questions to avoid surprises later on. Council Travel representative Ernesto Salas also emphasized the importance of checking out what documents are required for entry into various countries well in advance of leaving. "Many Carribean countries will accept a United States birth certificate and ID, but a passport is more recognized by authorities if you run into trouble," he said. While on the trip, students should continue to take precautions. American Automobile Association spokesperson Regina Tracy suggested a conservative appearance that will not attract attention as a tourist. "Do not walk around with a video camera or 35 millimeter hanging off your shoulder," she said. Tracy also emphasized common sense in terms of safety precautions. "If you do get lost, don't act lost," she said. "If you go out at night, make sure you are in a group and in a well lit area." Tracy also suggested being familiar with bus, train and taxi systems when backpacking.