Four-year deal allows home team to chose venueFour-year deal allows home team to chose venuebut provides for only a half-round robin format In a move that will gratify some Philadelphia basketball fans, but will surely upset traditionalists, the presidents of Penn, Temple, St. Joseph's, La Salle and Villanova have agreed to extend Big 5 competition through the year 2000. But the contract extension mandates only a half-round-robin format. This means that each of the Big 5 schools will only be obligated to play two other cross-city rivals each year. A full round-robin format, which the agreement locks for the women's competition, would have each school playing all four of their Big 5 opponents. However, it is widely assumed Penn, Temple, St. Joe's and La Salle will all play each other regardless of whether the game is an official Big 5 game or just a regular contest. Villanova will only schedule the minimum two Big 5 games. Dan Baker, the Executive Secretary of the Big 5, who led the negotiations, said he had "mixed emotions" on the agreement, adding he had hoped for a return to a full-round-robin tournament. On the positive side, Baker said the agreement "will extend this tradition for another four years, and that was no sure thing when this contract started." According to Baker, Penn, St. Joe's and La Salle favored a full round-robin format, while Villanova was opposed and Temple was mixed. Baker asserted that the half-round-robin format was a necessary "compromise position." "There were many who felt that Villanova might not play any games, that the Big 5 has out-played its usefulness, and that Villanova's best interests might be best served by playing no Big 5 city games," Baker said. According to Baker, Villanova's situation is different than the other four schools in that all their home games are guaranteed sell-outs regardless of the competition. Therefore, Villanova does not need to risk losses against their tough city rivals. Baker added that the agreement "preserves the chance" that the full round-robin format could be reinstated at some future date. He conceded, however, that he does not know the chances of that happening. Penn Athletic Director Steve Bilsky downplayed the situation and noted that Villanova, since they play in the Big East -- one of the best conferences in the country -- had their hands full in league competition. Instead, Bilsky highlighted a different aspect of the agreement -- the new freedoms given to the home team. According to Bilsky, the new agreement allows the home team to choose the location of the game and keep all the profits. The result of this change, Bilsky says, will be "to get more [Big 5] games at the Palestra." That would be something of a homecoming for the Big 5. The Palestra was the exclusive home of the Big 5 from 1955 to 1986 when it was the mecca of Philadelphia basketball during the glory years of the fifties, sixties, and seventies. The Big 5 as an entity has been in existence for 41 years. The agreement was signed on Dec. 20 by all five Big 5 presidents after negotiations were held primarily with the athletic directors of the schools. This was the final year of the 10-year contract.