When Marjorie Hill was in third grade, her teacher assigned an essay about what the world would be like in the year 2000. The young Hill described a world in which children would not be judged by the color of their skin but rather by the content of their character. Hill, formerly director of the New York City Office of Lesbian and Gay Concerns under former Mayor David Dinkins, conveyed that message in a speech entitled "What Difference Do Differences Make? -- Race, Gender and Sexual Orientation." Hill spoke in Houston Hall Wednesday evening to an audience of approximately 40 as part of the University's commemoration of Martin Luther King Jr's life. A prominent member of the African American and gay and lesbian communities, Hill discussed King's impact and his methods of overcoming the racist attitudes of society. "Dr. Martin Luther King stood for justice, truth and fairness," said Hill, who currently serves as the vice chairperson of the New York State Workers' Compensation Board. "It is sometimes difficult to live by things that are so simple." She added that King's agenda will only be implemented if the American people come to terms with every kind of racism. "It is impossible to view any form of racism as isolated or separated from others," she said. Hill, who has a doctorate in psychology, said courage, community-building and coalition, which she dubbed the "three C's," could ultimately lead to overcoming racism and bigotry in America. She also quoted King, noting that he believed people "must stand together as allies or die together as fools." Hill said King's message resonates today, teaching that everyone has the same "God-given rights." "Maybe it's not the difference that makes the difference, but the perception," Hill said. She also dealt with more specific issues during a lengthy question-and-answer session with the audience. Hill addressed Wednesday's death of pioneering black congresswoman Barbara Jordan, calling her "an incredible warrior in the fight for justice." Hill, who is currently engaged and preparing for her wedding, offered advice to the gay community. "We need people to move beyond the safety of our gay and lesbian centers," she said. After Hill finished, Bob Schoenberg, director of the University's Lesbian Gay Bisexual Center and organizer of the event, said he was "delighted" that she had come to speak. "So many of the things she talked about seemed so relevant," he said, adding that he "loved the lighthearted stories." College senior Anthony Putz, co-chairperson of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Alliance, said Hill's remarks were "poignant and on the mark in all cases." In addition, second-year Social Work student Raina McCoy called Hill "inspiring." "I think it's great that they brought someone who is African American and lesbian and out," she said. The Rev. Patrick Maye, pastor of Unity Fellowship Church, a predominantly African American church that "affirms the spirituality" of gays and lesbians, said although he enjoyed Hill's speech, he wished the publicity for the event had been better. According to Maye, the event's organizers should have notified all the gay and lesbian organizations, along with the general public. Hill said she was "very excited" to speak at the University, especially since it was her first time on campus. An author of several publications, including the forthcoming Growing Up Gay or Lesbian, Hill is also featured in "All God's Children," a recent film about homophobia in black culture.