Melissa Commins has always tried to make helping others a part of her life, so it was only natural for the recent Wharton graduate to seek work with the American Red Cross. Passing up the lucrative business endeavors that so many Wharton graduates opt for, Commins has worked with the Southeastern Pennsylvania chapter of the Red Cross since completing her undergraduate studies in health care management this past August. As a Red Cross disaster specialist, Commins is always on the scene of emergencies to coordinate relief efforts. "I go to all the very big disasters that happen in the Philadelphia area," said Commins, who has assisted in fires, floods, building collapses and power outages. Commins offers support to victims and helps in providing them with what they have lost -- which can range from food to clothing to shelter. "There aren't many organizations in the city that do that," Commins said. "We really help them out with their emergency needs." When not on the scene, Commins takes on a more administrative role. She is responsible for compiling reports of disaster activity and analyzing them for demographic, statistical and financial information. In addition, Commins is currently putting together a task force to rewrite the Red Cross Volunteer Disaster Plan, which delineates how the Red Cross responds to disasters. Although her work is often hectic, Commins said she finds it very rewarding. "The crux of what we do is helping people in a time of need," Commins said. "And there's a certain fulfillment from that." Commins said she is especially moved when she is able to help a family that had almost nothing to begin with and is left with absolutely nothing after a disaster. "It's surprisingly the really small incidents that tend to affect me," Commins said. Commins's experiences at the University were a strong influence in her decision to work with the Red Cross. While an undergraduate, Commins was an Emergency Medical Technician intern, a member of an ambulance team and a participant in Project Uplift -- a counseling program for pregnant teenage mothers. Commins's efforts have not gone unnoticed. "Melissa never knows what she's going to have to do, but she's up to any challenge and always has a smile," said Jennifer Rauch, a Red Cross spokesperson. Rauch recalled that at an event honoring outstanding women in the community recently, Frank Donaghu, president of the Southeastern Pennsylvania chapter of the Red Cross, singled out Commins from hundreds of community leaders in the audience, praising her for her work. Despite such accolades, Commins simply considers her efforts part of her life. "I think that this is a stepping stone for me. It's an experience I really needed to have in life -- it's an experience I wanted to capture," said Commins. "I do foresee myself assisting people throughout my life, in some fashion or another."