After a week at the helm of University Police, Managing Director Thomas Seamon has already been in the trenches. Last week Seamon responded as a back-up to a call of a man with a gun, along with other University Police officers. Seamon said that although he is in a managerial position, he will not be a stranger to normal police work. He added that he is constantly listening to the police radio in his car and will respond to calls if necessary. "I still think I also have a regular role in the field," Seamon said. "It won't be unusual to see my face pop up in places." Along with the addition of a new administrator, University Police is also adjusting to new technology. Monday marked the beginning of the University Police department's use of the radio band known as the "J-band." This band enables University Police to have direct radio contact with Philadelphia Police, according to Seamon. In the past, Penn police had to contact Philadelphia police over the phone, which was more time consuming. Seamon said it is difficult to make a judgment about his job, since he has only spent a few days in the office. He also spent some time last week at an IBM conference in New York. Along with other University officials, Seamon attended the IBM conference to discuss the University's relationship with the computer/communications giant. For Seamon, the future of security is in high technology devices such as closed circuit television and alarm systems, which he hopes will be integrated with the use of security guards. He is currently at work at determining what the proper mix should be between security guards and monitoring devices. "People are concerned with the theme that there is a high level of security, without being of an intrusive nature," he said. "That's not an easy balance to achieve, but I think we can do it here." Seamon is a 26-year veteran of the Philadelphia Police and held the number two spot in that department -- deputy police commissioner -- before he stepped down last month to take on the managing director position at the University. At the Philadelphia Police Department, Seamon was responsible for the direct command of 5,000 personnel within the patrol, special patrols and the detective and civil affairs bureaus. At one point in his career, he was the acting police commissioner when then-Commissioner William Williams left his post in 1992. Former University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich's future is still uncertain. "I believe for Penn, it is important to focus on the future and where the institution is headed," Kuprevich said. "Penn has existed through a very trying and confusing three-plus years of transitions, and it is vital that clear and forward thinking leadership now command the resources and focus on this institution." Kuprevich announced on April 13 that he would resign from his position. He was the University's first commissioner of public safety and oversaw the University Police department and the Victim Support and Special Services unit.