Eric 3 will be new practice site A recent agreement between Student Performing Arts and University City Associates will allow Performing Arts Council groups to rehearse in the now-closed Eric 3 Theater on 40th Street. UCA, the University's for-profit real estate corporation, agreed this week to permit PAC groups to use the space for a nominal fee, according to Laura Hammons, SPA administrative assistant. The precise amount of the fee -- which will cover electricity and other basic operating costs -- has not yet been finalized, said PAC Chairperson Pat Ede, a Wharton and Engineering senior. But Real Estate Director Chris Mason, who is also president of UCA, said "it is not a dollars and cents issue at this point." He added that UCA is in a unique position to help accommodate PAC's needs because it is an arm of the University. Discussions leading to this week's deal occurred throughout the summer, under the direction of then-SPA Coordinator Kathryn Helene, Hammons said. She added that the agreement between UCA and SPA extends only until the end of October, because the University wants the theater to remain marketable as a commercial property. Provost Stanley Chodorow agreed, saying that the administration is not certain how the Eric 3 will be used in the future. Mason ruled out the possibility of it reopening as a movie theater. Chodorow described the available spaces as "pretty crude," with sloping floors. He said he does not believe they would be suitable for performances. Ede said groups that want to use the Eric 3 for rehearsal will have to sign waivers stating that they are holding activities there at their own risk. Hammons said six groups have already expressed interest in the theater -- including Stimulus Children's Theater, Penn Players, Intuitons, Quadramics, the Theater Arts Department and African Rhythms. She added that she expects these groups to have their waivers in by the end of this week, so that rehearsals can begin after fall break. Earlier this month, the University purchased the First Church of Christ Scientist, located at 4012 Walnut St. Administrators announced that the facility would be earmarked for performing arts use. But after touring the church, members of various PAC groups said that in its present condition the church will not meet their needs. In 1987, when the University first proposed buying the church, administrators proposed using it as a new home for the Music Department. Music Professor Gary Tomlinson, who was serving as department chairperson at the time, said earlier this week that faculty members did not feel the space was appropriate for their needs.