Michael Allen graduated 'cum laude' from the College The University community has lost another member, with a second student suicide coming to light late last week. Michael Allen, who graduated cum laude from the University in May, killed himself last month, Assistant Vice Provost for University Life Barbara Cassel has confirmed. Post-Baccalaureate student Robert Tan committed suicide in his hometown of Hershey, Pa. on September 1. Tan had been diagnosed as manic depressive. It is not clear whether Allen had similar psychological difficulties that may have prompted the suicide. Allen was an English major who hailed from Miami. His father was also a University alumnus. English Professor Robert Lucid, who taught Allen last spring, called Allen a "really fine person" who struggled even then. "It was clear that his life was difficult for him then," Lucid said last night. "But none of us realized how much he was struggling." Allen lived in Stouffer College House for more than a year during his time at the University, said Stouffer Senior Faculty Resident Karl Otto. His death shocked the small community of students living there this year. Stouffer has space for about 130 residents, according to Otto, who is also the undergraduate chairperson of the German department. This year, about 20 of them are returnees, and all had known Allen because of the Stouffer community's small size. Many current Stouffer residents, still dealing with their own grief, shrugged off questions about Allen with a softly spoken "No comment." But those who were willing to talk about Allen last night during a House barbeque remembered him fondly. College junior Salli Brown said Allen was an inquisitive, intelligent person who was "fun to talk to." He was also very caring, concerned with other people and their well-being, she said. College senior Shane Brant characterized Allen as a sweet person, filled with life and vitality. "It comes as a terrible shock to hear this news," he said. House residents had been told about Allen's death at a meeting called late last week by administrators. Otto, who described Allen as an all-around "super individual," said plans for a memorial at Stouffer are in the works, but have not yet been finalized. The University offers a number of resources to students who may be depressed or considering suicide, including the student-run Reach-A-Peer Helpline (573-2RAP), support groups facilitated by the University Counseling Service and psychotherapy through Student Health. When students or former students commit suicide, the University conducts various intervention programs for anyone with connections to the victim -- whether through residences, academic departments or extracurricular activities. It is difficult to pinpoint what can lead to suicide, according to the University Counseling Service. Loss, pressure and depression may combine to create a sense of helplessness or hopelessness, causing students to believe that killing themselves represents the only way out of a difficult situation. Daily Pennsylvanian reporters Amy Lipman and Randi Feigenbaum contributed to this article.