They say radio journalist Mumia Abu-Jamal is not guilty of murder Waiting anxiously for word from Senior Common Pleas Court Judge Albert Sabo's third-floor courtroom, supporters of Mumia Abu-Jamal created an almost festive atmosphere at Philadelphia's new Criminal Justice Center yesterday. They traveled from as far away as Atlanta and New York to plead for the freedom of Abu-Jamal, a former radio journalist and Black Panther who they say is an oppressed political dissident. Waving banners and placards and singing folk songs, supporters canvassed passers-by, trying to draw attention to their cause. Abu-Jamal is on Pennsylvania's death row, convicted for the 1981 shooting death of Philadelphia Police Officer Daniel Faulkner. He was scheduled to be executed on August 17, but received a stay last month. Yesterday's hearing represents Abu-Jamal's last hope for a new trial. Prosecutors claim there is no reason to grant a retrial. But Abu-Jamal's defense team contends that he had ineffective counsel during his first trial and that one key witness -- his brother William Cook -- has never testified. Sabo himself has come under scrutiny, because he was on the bench for the 1982 murder trial. Abu-Jamal supporters have also cited statistics showing that Sabo has presided over more cases in which African Americans received the death penalty than any other judge in the nation. The Abu-Jamal case has inspired controversy that is often tinged with racial overtones -- most notably after the release of Abu-Jamal's autobiographical book Live From Death Row. But it was a diverse crowd that gathered in the morning chill outside the new courthouse yesterday. Some wore snug-fitting caftans over nearly shaved heads; others sported dreadlocks or braids with brightly colored beads. Still others were dressed solely in black, and had proudly plastered themselves with "Free Mumia" stickers. Many wore buttons demonstrating their allegiance to activist groups like Food Not Bombs, the anti-Fascist Refuse & Resist!, the Partisan Defense Committee and the Revolutionary Communist Youth Movement. Others hocked socialist and workers' newspapers. Jimmy Vincent, a Baltimore native working with Refuse & Resist!, said he had attended some of the Abu-Jamal hearings this summer. He was attracted to the case because "the tone and tenor of the times smacks of 1932 Germany," he said. Outside the highly secure courtroom, another throng of Abu-Jamal's supporters waited quietly, hoping that even one of the 120 seats inside the proceedings would become available. The swarms of Philadelphia Police officers who clustered around the courthouse seemed to largely ignore the protesters. But one sported a button that read "Adieu Abu" as he strode through the new building's revolving doors. No decision in the case had been announced at press time. Abu-Jamal's lawyers have said they will appeal to a higher court if Sabo does not rule in their favor.