Introducing the various academic opportunities at the University, faculty and students from all four undergraduate schools held a fair yesterday afternoon geared toward new students. Freshman and transfer students were able to learn about topics ranging from studying abroad to preparing for graduate school at the 10 information tents set up on College Green. College Associate Director Lawrence Friedman said the Council of Undergraduate Deans created the fair -- which has never been part of New Student Orientation before -- so students could become aware of how to enhance their education. At the tent devoted to research, students studying several disciplines displayed posters explaining their projects. The projects included "Japanese Import Initiative of 1990," "Moving Large DNA Molecules in a Rotary Mechanic Spectrometer" and "New Racism and Television News." Many of the students stood by their posters, ready to answer any questions. Two tents were devoted to computers, showing how professors can use computers in their classes and what electronic information is available through Van Pelt Library -- such as the Oxford English Dictionary. Many new students said they were glad that they could learn about the University's programs and services so easily. "I had no idea, until I stopped by, about everything I can access in the library on computer," College freshman Karin Rogers said. "Now that I have a computer in my room it will be a lot more convenient than going to the library." Students could also inquire about unusual classes, interdisciplinary programs, the University Museum and student-run programs.