Accompanied by the clicking and whirring of cameras, University President Judith Rodin and Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell brought good wishes to the third annual reception for Mayor's Scholars, held at City Hall yesterday afternoon. Twenty-three of the 36 Mayor's Scholars in the Class of 1999 attended the reception, organized by the University to recognize their achievements. Friends and family members, as well as local dignitaries, were also on hand for the celebration. Mayor's Scholars represent the "best of the best of the Philadelphia crew that was accepted" to the University, Rendell said. Each receives a financial aid package of about $19,000 per year -- without any loan obligations. This year, the group represents 14 city high schools -- public, private and parochial -- and 20 zip codes, Rodin said. A total of 126 Philadelphians accepted offers of admission into the University's Class of 1999. "To have won a Mayor's Scholarship is a tremendous achievement," Rendell said, characterizing the scholarship program as one of the best in the nation. Both Rendell and Rodin are University alumni. They graduated one year apart, and were friendly during their time on campus in the 1960s. "You have chosen a remarkable university," Rodin told the students and their guests. "We're very proud that you have come to Penn." She also highlighted the financial aid package offered to Mayor's Scholars, saying it sets a model for all of American higher education. Rodin encouraged the scholars to give back to the city after graduation. Each scholar was then presented with a certificate making the scholarship official. After the ceremony, attendees milled about the elegantly decorated Mayor's Reception Room, eating and talking excitedly as somber portraits of former Philadelphia mayors looked down on them. College freshman Kristen Tustin, a scholar from South Philadelphia, said she was "really excited" when she learned that she had won a scholarship. Her mother, Josephine Tustin, said the University had been Kristen's first choice school, although the family had visited more than 30 campuses. "From the moment she saw it, she was in love with it," Josephine Tustin said. "I feel better knowing that she's so close to home." Maria Smith, mother of Nursing freshman Dennis Smith, a scholar from Northeast Philadelphia, said she was more excited than her son when the family found out he had won a scholarship. "I can't believe that we've been this fortunate," she said. Because Dennis is one of five children, Maria said she and her husband would not have been able to send him to the University without the scholarship.