Former Interim University President Claire Fagin earned more than $300,000 during her one-year tenure at the helm of the school, making her the highest-paid university president in the Ivy League that year, according to a survey published in this week's Chronicle of Higher Education. In 1993-94, the University paid Fagin $315,200 in salary and $31,719 in benefits. Current University President Judith Rodin earned approximately $350,000 in 1994-95, but it is not clear whether or not that figure includes benefits. The second-highest paid university president in the Ivy League in the 1993 fiscal year was Dartmouth College President James Freedman, who earned $285,416 plus a $22,309 benefit package. Rodin declined to comment on Fagin's salary last night. Fagin, who is now emeritus dean of the School of Nursing, said it is not strange that she was paid more than other Ivy League presidents while she was interim president. "Whatever they paid me would have to have been in keeping with whatever the president's salary is at Penn," she said. Former University President Sheldon Hackney, who retired prior to Fagin's tenure in 1993, was the second-highest paid university president in the country during his last year in office, according to a 1994 Chronicle report. He earned $676,574 that year, including a bonus and benefit. Fagin said she did not know what comprised her benefits package. According to University tax forms filed with the Internal Revenue Service, most other employees' benefit packages came to about $20,000. According to University spokesperson Barbara Beck, the standard benefits package that every University employee receives includes health care, life insurance and a dental plan. Beck said she also did not know what additional benefits the president receives, or if Rodin's $350,000 salary includes the cost of her benefit plan. She added she did not find it unusual that the University pays its presidents better than its Ivy League peers. "I don't think [Rodin's] salary is out of line compared to others in the Ivy League, but I'm not going to compare her to what other presidents make," Beck said. "They all do their jobs differently and they all see their responsibilities as being very different." She pointed out that Boston University President John Silber is notorious for being the best-paid university president in the nation. In 1993, he was paid $400,000 and received a $164,020 benefits package. "Why is [Rodin] getting paid less than somebody who might be leading a not as well-known university as Penn?" Beck asked. "The argument could be put both ways." Last spring, Rodin faced criticism from members of the Pennsylvania legislature for her salary. "I work very hard for it," she responded then. "The responsibility of a $2 billion corporation is on my shoulders." The president is almost never the highest-paid member of the University faculty. In the 1993-94 fiscal year, Urology Professor Alan Wein earned $979,000, more than any other University employee. But Rodin's salary does not take into account the value of her official residence, Eisenlohr Hall. The University provides the mansion and its staff to its presidents for the duration of their terms in office. The 25-room house was renovated last fall when Rodin moved in, at a cost of $727,350. English Professor Paul Korshin said while he does not begrudge Rodin her salary, he objects to the additional bonuses the University president receives, such as Eisenlohr. "I don't think the actual salary would bother anyone," he said. "The only place you could actually pay attention is not the salaries but the additions. That's where controversy tends to erupt with presidencies."