Speaking to a crowd of enthusiastic young Democrats in Philadelphia yesterday, President Bill Clinton reviewed his accomplishments in office and lashed out against Republican critics. Clinton and Vice President Al Gore were in town to kick off the second fund-raising leg of their re-election effort. They first appeared at a $100-a-person dinner, sponsored by Young Democrats for Action & Education, and later spoke at a $1,000-a-plate event, both of which combined to raise more than $50,000 for the candidates' war chest. "The reason that you are here is that we have given this country a new direction, to bring ourselves together and look toward the future, to keep tackling our real economic challenges and to try to find ways to liberate and empower Americans in areas that have been too long ignored," the president said to the excited group of supporters. Clinton's day-long visit to the city included time with church and community leaders in West Philadelphia, and discussions about the redevelopment of the now-closed Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. Mayor Ed Rendell and U.S. Representative Chaka Fattah (D-Pa.) joined the 400 Young Democrats to welcome Clinton and Gore to the city. Several University students and alumni were among those in attendance. In a ballroom filled with red, white and blue balloons, the local politicians drummed up support for the Clinton administration in light of fierce opposition to the Democratic agenda from the Republican-controlled Congress. "Here in Philadelphia, we have not given up on the American dream," Fattah said, highlighting a central theme of the evening. The Young Democrats formed about a month ago, and last night's fund raiser was the group's first event. Although many doubted the possibility of hosting a successful large function so soon after its founding, Chairperson Lisa Dykstra said "nothing has been more impressive than the spirit that I've seen from people here." Gore remarked on the need for the group to stay active in politics. "To see young professionals who are taking a special responsibility in helping our nation make the right decisions about our future is cause for consistent optimism," he said. The vice president also spoke on issues of great concern to the crowd, vilifying Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) for trying to cut student loans, educational and social programs such as job-training initiatives, and funding for scientific research. Gore described Gingrich's proposals as "appalling," and said they represent "a victory thus far in their party for ideological zealotry over common sense." While Clinton joined Gore in criticizing Republicans, his speech focused on the great changes currently affecting the nation and the world. The president reviewed his achievements to date, emphasizing his administration's record on job creation, unemployment, wages and the stock market's ascent to new heights. He also urged those in the audience to talk to their friends, family members and co-workers about his administration's successes, saying that "the worst thing they can do is take a quick, easy, simple, wrong answer" like the one offered by the Republicans to balance the budget. "We can build a majority for positive, constructive change in this country, if you do what you can," he said. "We'll have a great victory next November, and the American people will be the winners." Clinton will visit seven more cities this week in order to keep contributions rolling in to his 1996 presidential campaign war chest. Other stops include Miami, Denver, San Francisco and Los Angeles. If the campaign is able to raise the $4.2 million it expects from the planned fund-raising events, Clinton's re-election fund could reach $18 million by the end of the month. The Associated Press contributed to this story.