The Civic Center closed for good this summer, but the University and the city of Philadelphia do not appear any closer to an agreement on what will happen to the hulking white halls that comprise the complex. The city and the University are still talking about the future of the Civic Center site, though -- and some say that alone represents progress. "It's been real low-key and real informal," said Gordon Williams, senior vice president for academic and clinical affairs of the University's Health System. "The University's interested, the Medical Center's interested, but so far we haven't gotten any further with any substantive discussions." City officials refused to comment on the status of the Civic Center deal, which has been in limbo for years. "We have steadily 'no commented' this whole negotiation," said Kevin Feeley, Mayor Ed Rendell's press secretary. Located on 33rd Street next to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, the Civic Center includes five buildings that have seen their share of historic events -- including concerts, political conventions and countless college graduations. If the University purchases the Civic Center site, it would demolish the five buildings that currently make up the complex, probably to expand HUP's ambulatory care facilities. Feeley said that although the complex is officially closed, the Convention Hall section can still be rented on a "pay-as-you-go" basis for various events. A small staff is assigned to the complex, he said. A year ago, Civic Center acquisition talks between the University and the city stalled because the two sides could not come to a consensus on a price for the site. Price is still a major point of contention, University Executive Vice President John Fry said yesterday, despite the University's "continuing interest" in the site. The total price tag for the deal would depend on whether the city or the University pays to raze the existing buildings, Fry said. "There is not a plan or a cost at which the city and the University can agree, and there's nothing contentious about it," said Carol Scheman, vice president for government, community and public affairs. But, she said, the property is still valuable to the University, whether as an eventual addition to HUP or campus recreation center, potentially housing a swimming pool or skating rink. Interest in the Civic Center site has remained high because of its proximity to campus. "If you look at the campus and you look at our opportunities to expand, east is the most attractive way to expand," Fry said. According to Williams, the University's vision for the Civic Center site has been shaped by the shifting economics of health care in the United States. To be successful, he added, the University's Health System needs to "take health care to the patients," not simply have a presence in West Philadelphia. Last spring, Health System executives announced a merger with Presbyterian Medical Center, located at 38th and Market streets. The union is an effort to expand the services offered by both facilities. Both Fry and Scheman said the merger does not solve the space-availability problems at HUP that could be alleviated by purchasing the Civic Center.