and Gregory Montanaro University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich is on the University of New Mexico's short list of candidates for the next commissioner of public safety, according to UNM Police Lieutenant Steve Lewis. "He was my top choice," Lewis said, adding that Kuprevich is one of four finalists for the position. "I thought he was outstanding." Kuprevich confirmed this week that he "applied to a number of opportunities," and he said that UNM is "a fine institution." He added that no decision had been made and that several qualified applicants were in the running. He also said that the job "happened to open at the right time." Kuprevich announced on April 13 that he would resign his position at the University on July 31. At the time, he said he had accomplished all he had wanted to do at the University, and was ready to pursue new challenges elsewhere. "[Kuprevich] had a lot of experience on college campuses and good credentials and a good understanding of the issues universities [face]," Lewis said. UNM has 42 officers and is currently looking to upgrade their security officers to police status. Lewis said the the job became available when the current police chief left to work for a municipal police department. He described the crime situation at UNM as mainly "property crime." One hundred bicycles were stolen last year, partially because of a lack of education in the community about properly locking unattended possessions. Lewis said there were also a lot of auto accidents, auto thefts and two murders in the past four years. Kuprevich was the University's first commissioner of public safety and oversaw the University Police department and the Victim Support and Special Services unit since assuming the post in December 1990. Since his resignation, Kuprevich has maintained that he will stay involved in campus law enforcement. University officials have said that a replacement will be found in time for Kuprevich's departure this summer. Under the direction of Executive Vice President John Fry -- who received Kuprevich's letter of resignation -- a national search was initiated to identify people interested in working at the University. Details of the search were not available. Before coming to the University, Kuprevich headed Brown University's police and security department for nine years. At Brown, Kuprevich was credited with expanding the university's police department and improving relations between Brown and the state and local police. He also helped create a volunteer program to help female crime victims. Kuprevich's career began as a Pennsylvania State University police officer. He then worked at Wayne State University in Detroit for 11 years.