University officials and concerned students confronted the issues of ethnic intimidation and vandalism yesterday in an open forum in the Upper Lobby of High Rise South. Acting Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum, Residential Living Director Gigi Simeone and Victim Support Director Maureen Rush, were on hand to discuss issues of racial hatred. Together, they addressed recent acts of ethnic intimidation including graffiti written on elevators in HRS and other places, threatening phone calls and other forms of intimidation, such as harassment. Rush said a person cannot be charged for mere ethnic bias. "There must be an underlying crime such as graffiti or assault," she said. She added that the most common acts of ethnic intimidation at the University are usually in the form of graffiti. "Normally, it's graffiti, such as scrawlings of swastikas on elevators or offensive language, directed at racial groups," Rush said. She explained that the punishment for such crimes is more serious than in cases of normal graffiti or assault. "The ante is raised," she said. "It is a crime motivated by hatred and ignorance." McCoullum said the University may expel such perpetrators. "If we find you, we're going to hold you responsible," she said. "We're going to come after folks." Rush also said Residential Living acts quickly to cover up graffiti as soon as it goes up. "If there's something that does happen, within an hour, it's gone," she said. She added that when there is a report of racial intimidation, Residential Living works in conjunction with the Conflict Prevention and Resolution Unit to address the problem. Rush added that she conducted a training program for University Police this past summer to make them more aware of the emotional consequences of ethnic intimidation. Pamela Moore, a psychologist at University Counseling Service, said her office offers support to victims of ethnic intimidation. "We provide a forum for people to talk about how [ethnic intimidation] makes you feel," she said. "Everything said at the center is confidential." Regarding the recent acts of intimidation, Simeone explained that "[intimidation] is something that seems to happen over and over again." Simeone also advised students to act when they see or experience ethnic intimidation on campus. "The best thing to do is to call for the [Residential Advisor] on duty and report it to that person," she urged. "The other thing to do is to call or come down to the desk. If anyone ever has information, please come forward." Students attending the meeting were generally pessimistic about the University's ability to prevent further acts of ethnic intimidation. "I don't think students feel any risk in doing graffiti," said College junior and HRS RA David Rosenberg. Engineering senior Hilary Brown agreed. "It is the price of living in racist America," she said.