The words "Fuck niggers" were discovered scrawled on the wall of an elevator in High Rise South at about 9:30 p.m. Saturday night by first-year Social Work student Penny Alexander. According to Alexander, a Residential Advisor in the building, the letters "PAN" appeared underneath the ethnic slur. The phrases in question were erased by 11 p.m. last night. Alexander added that she has seen this type of graffiti in the HRS elevators since winter break, but only recently learned the meaning of "PAN" -- Penn Against Niggers -- from desk workers and security guards in the building. "It's frustrating that this is supposed to be a learning educational environment, and it's not safe at all," she said. "How are we supposed to learn where we get in an elevator and see racial slurs?" Alexander also said she plans to speak with Residential Living Director Gigi Simeone and Acting Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum about the graffiti this week. Second-year Social Work student Keri Raymond, who, like Alexander, is an African-American RA in High Rise South, said she is disturbed by the latest occurrence of elevator graffiti in the building and feels the community has been violated by whomever did the writing. University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich confirmed that University Police officers responded to a complaint about graffiti in an HRS elevator this weekend, adding that the incident could potentially be investigated as ethnic intimidation. To be considered ethnic intimidation, though, a base crime such as criminal mischief must have both verbal assault based on race, color, religion or national origin and a physical threat of some type, according to Victim Support and Special Services Director Maureen Rush. Cases of ethnic intimidation are investigated by the District Attorney's office, and a conflict resolution unit is brought in to work with the affected community, according to Kuprevich. Black Student League President Kendrick Cox, a Wharton junior, said last night he was away from campus this weekend, and as a result had not heard about the graffiti. But Cox added that he is confident the University will investigate this case and punish the perpetrator or perpetrators appropriately. "It's a sad case," he said. "I just wish that we could all live together?but things like this will happen." Daily Pennsylvanian staff writers Keith Huebsch and Jamie Phares contributed to this article.