To help combat problems of substance abuse in the city's poorest neighborhoods, the Philadelphia City Council introduced legislation in 1993 to place restraints on stores that sell malt liquor. According to its supporters, that legislation has recently begun to have an effect. "Our primary focus is the premise that beer and malt liquor shouldn't be sold in groceries and delicatessens," Councilman James Kenney said. "They create a situation where young people are exposed to and may use them." And according to Kenney, many "stop-and-go" food stores claim to be restaurants so that the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board will allow them to sell the alcoholic beverages. Kenney also said that the laws on the books are designed for restaurant and bar settings, not for the takeout stores which often cater to minors. "These operations are set up in communities with high unemployment, substance abuse and other social ills," Kenney said. "They are unbearable for the people in the community." Kenney called them "havens for substance abuse," and said they attract drug activity, fights and public urination. Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell -- whose district includes the University -- is a strong supporter of the restrictions. "We have many fine businesses, [but] we're trying to get rid of the illegal ones," she said. Blackwell emphasized the negative effects these stores have on members on the community, especially the young and the elderly. "These are the ones we're dealing with [in] hearing after hearing," she said. To combat this, Kenney introduced legislation to the city council in 1993 that would allow the city to review a restaurant's license if more than 25 percent of its business is takeout. This ordinance would also be in accordance with a recent amendment to state law that allows communities to establish rules locally on liquor licensing. According to Kenney, the new city rules have prevented many new establishments from obtaining licenses. But stores that predate the new regulations are continuing to oppose them. Community response to the program has been unanimously supportive, Blackwell said. "We want to allow the community to protest businesses that operate illegally or against their interest," Blackwell said, referring to the several hearings that have been held in the past months. Kenney said that the stop-and-go stores are very lucrative businesses. He cited one store in South Philadelphia that recently sold for $150,000 -- making it one of the neighborhood's most valuable properties. He also pointed out that most store owners have no stake in the community and do not feel responsible for what happens immediately outside their stores. Blackwell also pointed out that tension has risen in black communities because many of the stores are owned by Asian Americans. "We want to make it clear that we are not 'anti' any ethnic group," Blackwell said. Kenney agreed that alcohol abuse is not a race issue. "These stores are a smoke screen to mask immoral, illicit activities," Kenney said. "I don't know or care about the backgrounds of these owners."