If a coalition of community leaders, city officials and area entrepreneurs have their way, a Bagel Builders store will replace the former Getty gas station at 38th Street and Baltimore Avenue. "I hope this is an example of what the community, government and business can do by working together," City Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell said. "We're glad it worked out so well." The impetus for bringing new economic development to the currently vacant site is being attributed to a "real coalition" among the groups, according to Center for Community Partnerships Director Ira Harkavy. Blackwell said, however, that planning to replace the former gas station -- located across the street from the Quadrangle -- began in earnest when Bagel Builders approached her with a proposal. She said that she then called a meeting with local civic groups to discuss details of the plan. "It is better to include the community," Blackwell said. "They were very, very helpful and they supported the concept from the beginning." "They seemed happy to take our suggestions," Spruce Hill Community Association President Linda Blythe said. "The people are anxious to see [the store] built there." Blythe and Blackwell said they were responsive to neighbors' concerns that the new store might cause traffic hassles in the area and worked toward the most efficient parking lot design possible. Many people in the community also said that they wanted improved conditions for pedestrians and landscaping, Blythe said. Construction plans are indefinite, although a major obstacle to redeveloping the site was overcome earlier this year when the station's underground tanks were removed. According to Blackwell, Bagel Builders already has several locations in Center City. She described them as especially suited for the area because they are "experienced and have done this before." Blythe also said that she has been impressed by the Bagel Builders store located in 30th Street Station. "It has long been a problem and an eyesore," Blackwell said of the old, abandoned gas station. "This will definitely add to the development of the area."