To celebrate Black History Month, Janali Davis decided to attend an event sponsored by the White Women Against Racism. But when the Engineering junior arrived at the group's meeting place in Houston Hall, she was turned away because she is black. Davis is now planning to file a grievance against the Women's Center, which sponsors WWAR, with the Office of Affirmative Action. When Davis sat down in the room where the event was to take place, Women's Center Director Elena DiLapi, the program facilitator, called her into the hall. "Because of the structure and the purpose of this organization, it would not be appropriate for you to be here at this time," DiLapi told Davis. Davis and DiLapi started to discuss the issue when Bah-Bai Makenta, another African American interested in the meeting, joined the discussion. Makenta works as a project planner in the department of Facilities Planning. The three proceeded to argue for almost an hour until Davis left in tears. Davis said she feels hurt, confused and discriminated against. "The reason I went to the meeting is because I was curious about White Women Against Racism," she said. "I don't expect to come to this campus and be treated like that -- especially in a forum that says it's dealing with the problem of racism." DiLapi, however, said that because the group was created for white women, it is inappropriate for individuals of other races to attend. "Before we can enter into meaningful dialogue about culture and racism, we have to examine ourselves first and examine those issues," she said. "We believe racism is a white problem and we have a responsibility as white women in particular to do what we can to eradicate racism." Makenta was both disgusted and confused by the group's policy. "How can they deal with African people and not hear what the African people has to say?" he said. "Here's this white women's organization against racism practicing racism." DiLapi said that because the Women's Center has programs directed towards black women, her actions were not racist. But Makenta said he cannot understand how WWAR is allowed to bar blacks from attending the event. "It seems to me wrong philosophically and politically that this group that meets on a university campus and in a university building, whose funding includes federal and state funds, can be allowed to meet in exclusivity of black people," he said. The function was advertised in the Campus Events section of the Daily Pennsylvanian, and the University's Policies & Procedures Handbook states that all "events are considered to be public." DiLapi said the advertisement was an error because the group is not taking new members, white or black, at this time. She added that because the event served as a support group, she is entitled to ask individuals to leave. "In years past, there have been men and women --white and of color--and when I've explained the purpose of the group they've said 'fine,' " DiLapi said. The Handbook includes no definitions or rules concerning support groups. Last week, a similar incident occurred when the board of the Black Student League barred DP staff members from a BSL meeting. And BSL President and College senior Robyn Kent said last night she supports DiLapi's rationale. "I'd be a hypocrite to say they should allow them in," Kent said. "It's up to the organization to choose who to let in and not to let in." DiLapi said she knows Davis is very upset about the incident. She added that the Women's Center is planning a program to start dialogue between black and white women. But Davis said she would not go to such a program.