Amtrak's effort to lure student travelers has been put on the fast track with the introduction of the experimental Amtrak College Travel Card. The new discount cards cost $14.95 and will save students 15 percent on rail travel. The first cards, made available Friday, are part of an Amtrak initiative aimed at increasing student ridership. To test the marketability of the product, students from six local universities, including the University, are eligible to use the card. Other area colleges participating in the program include Drexel, La Salle, St. Joseph's, Temple and Villanova universities. The discount card, however, cannot be used for weekday Metroliner service. Metroliners are reserved-seat, premium-priced trains that travel between New York and Washington. According to Rick Remington, Amtrak spokesperson for the northeast corridor, the trial period will last until August 31, and if successful might be instituted for college students nationwide. "What's good about Philadelphia is that the stops are fairly well-located to the students," Remington said. The discount cards can be purchased at Amtrak's 30th Street Station, as well as the North Philadelphia and Paoli stations. Students will also be able to order tickets by phone or through mail-in order forms from ads that will be placed in college newspapers. College freshman Sam Lee, who uses Amtrak to travel home to Baltimore, said the discount card sounded like a great idea. "That's a good deal, especially for students who live nearby," Lee said. "I know I go home way too much and it would be nice to save some money. I wish more people were made aware of it." College freshman Jamie Riepe, another Amtrak rider, agreed. "It would make it a lot easier to get home on the weekends and a lot cheaper," Riepe said. "I think it's a great idea. And it will probably attract a lot more business from students." Riepe added that he doesn't mind that Metroliner service is not included in the discount plan. "It would not really matter to most students," he said. "Most students would want to pay the extra fare for the Metroliner."