A week-long series examining the University's gay, lesbian and bisexual community At Camden County Community College in New Jersey, Anthony Putz did not feel at home. As a gay man, he found himself completely alone. "We didn't have a visible gay presence at all," the College of General Studies student said. "There were 16,000 students and when I wanted to start a gay group, I couldn't find one faculty advisor to support me." So when looking for a graduate school, Putz was drawn to the University because of its "liberal" reputation and its supposed acceptance of homosexuality. "The reason I came was because of all of the policies Penn has to protect gays and lesbians on campus, liberal housing policies, insurance for domestic partners," said Putz, the chairperson of the Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Alliance. "So I expected it to be this wonderful, accepting, comfortable environment." However, upon arriving in University City in the fall of 1993, Putz encountered a very different situation than the one he expected. "And after reading the DP and the editorials written by Jodi [Bromberg] and Steve [Houghton], the backlash they got made me realize that the attitudes are not as accepting as I had believed them to be," he said. Opinions on gay relations at the University are as varied as the gay communities and individuals themselves. College sophomore Melissa Krakowski, for example, came to the University from a religiously conservative town and found relatively positive attitudes on campus. "I have not had one negative comment said to me," Krakowski said. "I won't say homophobia doesn't exist here, but I think that because people are here at college and because we're so PC, it's not as bad as it is in the real world and in suburbia. It's a more friendly atmosphere here than in general." However, Krakowski said she was aware that some individuals on campus are not comfortable with her sexual orientation. "There are people who last year didn't feel comfortable around me and I know that for a fact," she said. Other students said they definitely do not feel comfortable being open with their homosexuality on campus. For example, College senior Stephen Houghton said that many gay, lesbian and bisexual students feel more comfortable holding their lovers' hands in Center City than on Locust Walk. Houghton added that he feels that homophobia is prevalent not only among individuals, but within the University as an entity. "Penn appears to be very supportive, but underneath that is a strong current of conservative and hateful values," he said. "There's a such thing as institutionalized oppression." Putz said he has encountered gay-bashing in the form of vandalism. One morning three years ago, he went outside of his house one morning and found the word "faggot" spray-painted on his door. Putz felt "angry, scared a little bit, shocked a little bit, appalled. I couldn't believed that happened in my neighborhood." And last summer, a student filed a police report after a man pushed him into Spruce street while verbally assaulting him for being gay. But such reports are not common at the University. Although students reported homophobic attitudes and actions on campus, every individual interviewed said they had straight friends as well as gay friends. "I don't know anybody who has only gay friends," said Bob Schoenberg, director of the Program for the Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Community at Penn. "I don't think gay people are interested in having only gay friends." Schoenberg explained that as individuals become more confident with their sexuality, they want to have more diversity in their friendships. "Developmentally, as people get more secure in their identities, they find that sexual orientation isn't enough," he said. Conversely, some gays, bisexuals and lesbians may take longer to make friends who share their sexual preference. "It seems to me that before someone comes out, most of the people they know are straight," School of Arts and Sciences graduate student Janine Denomme said. "When they come out, they come more into contact with gay, lesbian and bisexual people. That part of their community grows. Most keep straight friends. "I mean, we work with [straight] people, we go to school with [straight] people, they're in our families," he added. Kurt Conklin, a health educator at Student Health Services, agreed that it is statistically expected for gay, lesbian and bisexuals to have straight friends. "Given that at least 90 percent of the population is heterosexual, I think it is more likely that gay students will have a mix of friends," he said. "There may be students whose closest friends are gay, but they still have a large number of heterosexual friends." Some note that within the homosexual community, a man is more likely to have male friends and a woman is more likely to have women friends. "I don't think that many gay men get to make friends with a lot of lesbian women," Conklin said. Schoenberg said that when straight people actually know and interact with gay, lesbian and bisexual people, they become more accepting overall. "People who know gays, lesbians and bisexuals and know they know us tend to be more supportive," Schoenberg said. Many gay people see a threat in those people who feel that when gays earn civil rights, the mainstream community loses its own sense of superiority. "The type of person who I see as the most worrisome opponent is the person who believes that they lose out when gay and lesbian people try to make themselves [better] or try to lobby for domestic partnership benefits or try to express what it's like to be a gay, lesbian or bisexual person," Conklin said. "Many Americans feel that [gays are] asking for special rights, but in fact they're trying to take part in American society. They feel that if gay and lesbian people live on equal footing, they will lose out." In explaining this point, Schoenberg brought up the controversial debate over whether homosexuality is genetic or "chosen" later in life. "Our opponents want to pick the answer that will result in us getting the least amount of resources," he said. "If it's choice, they say 'you aren't entitled to civil rights.' If it's biochemical or hormonal, people try to drum up ways to change us or get rid of us." One group historically opposed to homosexuality is the Catholic Church. Today, Pope John Paul II does not recognize it as an acceptable form of sexuality and insists that his gay congregants abstain from intercourse. "Homosexuals are called to chastity, which is the same for single adults," Assistant Director of the Newman Center Bob Cardie said. "I'm sure it's a difficulty for them as it is for a single [heterosexual] college student to stay chaste." Cardie said that "sex is the highest form of communication and should be reserved for married couples." He acknowledged, of course, that there is no marriage ceremony for homosexuals recognized by the Catholic Church. Cardie added that insensitivity towards gay individuals is frowned upon in the Church. "The Catholic Church realizes that there are many men and women that have homosexual tendencies," he said. "It also realizes that they do not choose their homosexual conditions and the Church has always taught that homosexuals should be treated with respect and compassion. Any injustice against them is wrong." In an effort to make Christian homosexuals feel more comfortable, the Christian Association held a program entitled "Coming Out to God"earlier this year. Beverly Dalem, Christian Association director, said she held the program to show gay Christians that there is a place for them within the faith. "Unfortunately, many gays and lesbians and bisexuals have never heard any good news for them from Christianity, nor have they seen Christian models such as gay theologians who are Christians," she said. "So the purpose of the program was to show support for Christians who are struggling to live a life of integrity that is true to who God created them to be and faithful to the God they serve." She said that the Protestant faith is generally accepting of homosexuality. "God's love is inclusive of everyone," she said. She also said that one of the duties of Christianity is to work for "justice for those who are being stepped on." But the most commonly-shared opinion among gays, bisexuals and lesbians interviewed was that the biggest enemy to the gay community is ignorance. "If they were more well-informed they might be allies," College Junior and Generation XX Co-Editor Jennifer Manion. "But their ignorance is the greatest barrier between me and equality." Schoenberg said he feels that one of the only ways to end homophobia is through education.