For most elementary school children, recess is a time for see-saws, swings and slides. But children at Locke Elementary at 46th Street and Haverford Avenue have been deprived of this youthful pastime. Instead of teetertotters, they are confronted with crack vials and broken glass on the empty black pavement. But for Locke students, there may be hope yet -- a few University Engineering students are working hard to design and build a playground for the West Philadelphia children. Engineering seniors David Mays, Andrew Kluter and Jim DeNave are the three students responsible for bringing the first new school playground to Philadelphia in 10 years. Members of the American Society of Civil Engineers, the three seniors decided last spring to design a playground for their Systems 471 senior Engineering project. Through their hard work, the students have come to the realization that designing a playground is no easy task. They have fought an uphill battle ever since they started. Mays said that his first two sites for elementary school playgrounds "fell through" and that the Locke school was a third choice. He added that he also had to resolve many legal issues stemming from the building and design of the playground. Although he was disappointed by these events, Mays and his partners have persevered and hope to build the playground on the weekend of March 25. Several Greek organizations will aid with the construction. "We want to put something tangible in the community that will give a long lasting service to the folks out there," Mays said. "A lot of folks at Penn have an attitude that West Philadelphia is the end of the world. "I think part of this project is trying to address that feeling that it's worthwhile and possible to do socially relevant projects," he added. But College senior Jason Straus, the group's self-proclaimed spokesperson, said the students are still facing some financial stumbling blocks, including the fundraising of about $13,000. Straus said the group has elicited corporate funding for the project. He is also holding a raffle to raise funds for the playground through Ware College House. The raffle tickets will be available until tomorrow. According to Mays, Locke students have been particularly enthusiastic about the playground. And Kluter said he is extremely proud to be a part of project that is so meaningful to him and the children. "Building a playground is something which has longer-lasting value than donating money or books," Kluter said. "There is a physical tangible result, which shows what we did for the kids, the school and the community. "When I see the Locke school kids run out and play on that playground on opening day, I know I will have a great deal of satisfaction and happiness, knowing I made the 'kids' feel happy," he added.