About 10 students attended Penn Watch's first recruitment meeting last night in the Quadrangle. Penn Watch -- the new student-run town watch and peer education organization -- has launched a campaign to attract members for security patrols on and around campus. The program, which received formal recognition from the Student Activities Council last week, was formed after several students decided to take an active role campus safety. "I understand a lot of students don't get involved with issues of crime," Penn Watch President and Wharton sophomore Jon Brightbill said last night. "But we spend more and more on police and the problems don't go away, here at the University or in the nation. "If students want to feel safer," he added, "they have to get involved." The group's primary goal is to implement student-run patrols of the University's neighborhoods. The people on patrol will wear identifying clothing, and will be in direct radio contact with University Police. The patrol members will also have scanners monitoring police frequencies to be aware of police actions around campus. After patrols are established, Brightbill said the group plans to offer peer education on safety issues, and represent student views on security. "If someone wants to take their personal time and do this, we're thrilled to have you," University Police Officer Ann Haines told the people in attendance at the meeting. "This is a basic tenet of community involvement," she said. Haines and Brightbill both expressed enthusiasm at the prospect of student involvement. And Haines assured the group that the police will respond to student calls of assistance with urgency. In addition, officials from Victim Support and Special Services will train the Penn Watch members starting in February. Organizers stressed that the meeting was only the first step of recruitment, and that they will approach other student groups, such as Greek organizations, to supply members. Brightbill, who said the group began organizing last November, plans to begin patrols sometime shortly after spring break. "This won't make crime go away," Brightbill said. "But it will help people feel safer."