College junior Mike Nadel proposed a constitutional plan last week which would completely re-invent student government. Nadel, a Student Activities Council Finance Committee member and Daily Pennsylvanian columnist, said his proposal creates an entirely new governmental structure at the University. But much of his plan resembles that of Undergraduate Assembly representative and College senior Dan Schorr, and Nadel said he and Schorr are working to join the two proposals. Nadel's proposal would abolish all branches of student government in favor of a new Undergraduate Senate, which would perform all governmental functions. His proposal would also create a new Committee on Constitutional Administration to oversee the functions of the government and ensure that the constitution is followed.This committee would also run elections, he said. Nadel said a one-branch system of government is the best way to effectively represent students. "Having one body accomplishes several important objectives," he said. A one-branch system would allow students to understand how the government works. "Right now we have a six-branch student government," Nadel said. "Nobody understands it. A one branch system is a way to [make government comprehensible]." The Senate would also combine all governmental functions into one elected body, providing for more accountability in student government, he added. The proposed plan would create committees on the Undergraduate Senate that perform the duties currently executed by the Student Activities Council and the Nominations and Elections Committee. At the time he released the plan, Nadel said it would eliminate SAC altogether. But this has drawn some criticism from interested students, and now, Nadel is planning to revise the proposal, he said last night. "People have been making comments, and I hear them, and I respect them," he said. "When Dan Schorr's and my reconciled version [of the plan] comes out, those people will be happy with the changes that we make." He declined to comment on what those changes might be. Nadel said there are two reasons that the Senate should perform the duties of the NEC and SAC. If the plan is adopted, nominating and budgeting would be performed only by elected officials. "In principle, unelected people should not be making major decisions for students," Nadel said. Nadel added that if the plan is passed, the Undergraduate Senate would be imbued with so much power that it would attract more qualified student leaders. "[The proposal] gives the elected body enough power so that it will attract good leaders to run for it -- which is not the case now," he said. Nadel said that without a powerful forum for student activity groups, leaders of those groups would probably run for the Senate. Because of the additional powers that the proposed Senate would wield, it would be composed of 40 representatives, instead of the 33 currently on the UA, according to Nadel. Despite the many plans for reform, some student leaders said they were unsure that any changes would be helpful. "You can have one million different new things," said UA representative and Engineering sophomore Manny Calero. "[But] as long as you have student apathy, it will not work." Senior Class Boards President Jason Diaz said he also thinks reform could do more harm than good. "I'm wary that [people] don't know the implications of their actions," the Wharton senior said.