For the first time in years traffic is moving on South Street. Two weeks ago, the city implemented new traffic regulations on South Street, removing on-street parking all together, and adding an additional traffic lane and a "valet" lane. The new restrictions are in effect from 6 p.m. until 6 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights only, on South Street between Second and Eighth Streets. To compensate for the lost parking spaces, four valet parking stations have been created. Valet parking costs $9, but many of the restaurants on the street will validate the parking voucher for $4. Area self-parking lots are also offering visitors a "Shopper's Special" every Friday and Saturday night from 6 to 8 p.m. The new parking regulations follow the installation of 43 new "Streetscape" lights on South Street. Deputy Mayor for Economic Development Herb Vederman said he is enthusiastic about the drastic traffic improvement he has seen in the last few weeks, adding that the new lighting has made South Street much more visible at night. "Traffic is moving freely for the first time ever on South Street," Vederman said. "South Street is one of the brightest lit streets in the city of Philadelphia." Vederman said the majority of the merchants on South Street are very pleased with the new changes because they have brought increased business. Another added benefit, according to Vederman, is increased response time by the South Street Police Detail. He said they can more easily negotiate the street with less congestion. Peter Whitehouse, executive director of the South Street-Headhouse district, said the police are ecstatic about the changes. "The police say it's a homerun," Whitehouse said. "They're finding it makes their job a lot easier." According to Whitehouse, the retailers on South Street were initially upset by the traffic experiment, but have recently begun to realize its benefits. "A lot of the retailers who were the fiercest opponents have now joined up to be a part of the valley parking program," Whitehouse said. "We've got a few bugs to work out, but were very pleased." Harris Eckstut, the owner of Montserrat, a restaurant on South Street, said his business has improved greatly since the parking ban began. "It's the first time I've done business late at night in three years," Harris said. "South Street looks great and feels great." Vederman said the program is on a trial run for eight months. After that, the city can put the traffic changes into effect. He also added that there are plans in the works to place toilets on South Street.