A wave of forged and obscene newsgroup posting has raised questions about Internet security on campus. Data Communications and Computing Services has recently received at least six complaints concerning false return addresses on postings within the "Newswatcher" and "Trumpet" newsgroup programs, according to Associate Vice Provost of Information System and Computing Dan Updegrove. These computer-lab-run programs -- which are easier to use than the commonly used "tin" program -- allow students to post without logging on to one of the University's servers. The hacking incidents have reportedly originated in the High Rise South and Stouffer College House computer labs. And the messages have been posted on newsgroups such as upenn.talk, upenn.food and upenn.forsale, according to College junior Meng Weng Wong, an Internet expert. These programs, which allow posting without actually logging on, have led to forged messages, including obscenities and misrepresentations of University organizations such as the Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity and the Daily Pennsylvanian. "I've been alive 46 years and I've never read words like this," Updegrove said. "If someone needs psychological help, then we'd like to get them psychological help." When College senior and President of Alpha Phi Omega Desiree Ramirez was writing a response to one obscene message that claimed to represent her fraternity, two more appeared on the newsgroup that claimed to be from her. She said she feels hurt and bewildered. "What did I do?" she said. "I didn't do anything. Why would this happen to poor little me?" Updegrove said that CDDS knew that abuse of these programs was always a possibility, but trusted Internet users to use the system wisely. According to Director of Planning and Engineering at DCCS George McKenna, it is extremely difficult to track individuals who abuse the system because they do not log on before they post. Wong, however, said that the University does have the ability to track the abuser. "He could be found and punished," Wong said. "I doubt the University has the balls to do it." McKenna said that educating other Internet users is also difficult. "You can teach people how to recognize a forged message, but even that's hard because they rip the headers off," he said. To combat the problem, Updegrove sent out a memo to all University computer labs Thursday essentially recommending they stop posting through programs which do not require identification. "We basically informed all the lab managers Thursday night that if they would like to have unauthenticated posting from the lab disabled to just let us know," he said. "One or two actors have spoiled it for the rest of the community," he said, adding that Internet hacking violates state and federal laws -- along with the Student Code of Conduct. Updegrove added that he is not limiting his search to University students, but considering staff and faculty as well.