W.E.B. DuBois College House Assistant Dean David Biggs is leaving the University for a position at Webster University in St. Louis. Biggs, who served at DuBois for four years, will begin his responsibilities at Webster as director of multicultural student services on February 1. In his new position, Biggs said he hopes to represent the minority community at Webster in decision-making. A University alumnus, Biggs received a bachelor's degree in philosophy and religious thought in 1977 from the College of Arts and Sciences. He continued his education at Boston University, where he received his master's of divinity degree in pastoral counseling and philosophy. Biggs became the first assistant dean of DuBois in 1990. He said he has seen major strides in academic support at the University since he took office. "Back when I was a student, we didn't have academic advisors in the residence halls," he said. "We had to go all the way down to College Hall and many times we wouldn't do it. Living in the residence hall allows me to hunt down the students who need help and make sure they get it." This type of advising and support is what students have said they will miss most about Biggs. "We had our house meetings and he was always telling us that we have a support community," Wharton freshman Miki Toliver said. "He always tried to let us know who could help us in every area." Since the beginning of his tenure at DuBois, Biggs said he has enjoyed many accomplishments in the advancement of the college house -- such as helping to start the practice of holding classes in DuBois, and improving communications between the house and other University departments and residences. Biggs said he is wary of the suggestion to randomize housing made by the Commission on Strengthening the Community last year. If the Commission's recommendation were to be implemented, DuBois -- currently a home for the African-American community -- would be "mainstreamed," he added. "After 23 years, [DuBois] is as much an institution as any other institution people think of when they think of the University of Pennsylvania," Biggs said. "And the commitment the University has shown to DuBois should be continued, for [a decrease in support] would be a blow to the quality of residential living the academic excellence the University is trying to purport with its undergraduate education programs." Biggs' colleagues said his departure will be a bittersweet conclusion to his exceptional leadership at the University. "I'm very ambivalent that he's leaving," Assistant Vice-Provost for University Life Barbara Cassel said. "I'm happy to hear that he's moving onward and upward. But on the other hand, he will be missed by colleagues and students alike." Biggs said he has enjoyed the time he has spent at the University. "The opportunity, honor and privilege to serve as the first assistant dean will always be a cherished memory of mine," Biggs said.