Renowned radical poet Allen Ginsberg sat down in a small chair and poured himself a drink from a pitcher on the table next to him. "I am not in very good shape because I have partial laryngitis and heart failure," he announced before he began the reading yesterday in the Harrison Auditorium of the University Museum. "So I don't know if I can get through this." Despite his poor health, Ginsberg treated a packed audience of over 600 students, faculty and community members to a reading of his epic poem Kaddish. This is the first time he has publicly read the hour-long poem in over 15 years. Talking hoarsely, the poet explained that Kaddish is a ritual prayer, and that he wrote this poem in one sitting after he did not have a minyan at his mother's funeral. "This was a way of making up for that," he said. But once he started reading, all traces of illness vanished. As he tightly grasped his copy of the poem with both hands, he spoke in a clear, sing-song voice, cocking his head up towards the audience every few lines. Ginsberg even sang some of the lines in his distinct deep voice. He read straight through the poem, stumbling over words at times, and pausing occasionally to sip his drink, cough or wipe his face. At one point, he stopped, pulled an oversized blue and white handkerchief from his pocket, blew his nose and returned it to his pants. He concluded the piece with a voice rich in emotion and accent. Ginsberg became increasing louder, ending on an extremely climactic note. When he finished, the audience exploded in applause. Ginsberg rose, walked to the end of the stage, and surprised the group with a reading of an epilogue to the poem. Students said they were extremely impressed with Ginsberg's performance. "He was great," College senior Mike Levy said. "He almost had me in tears, I hate to admit. I never realized what a great poem it was." Wharton sophomore Nick Lemen agreed, adding that Ginsberg was able to rise above his illness. "It was very impressive," he said. "When he was reading his poetry he was full of life." Ginsberg, who is one of America's most famous living poets, is currently Distinguished Professor at Brooklyn College. Yesterday's event was sponsored by The Steinberg Symposium and the University's School of Arts and Sciences. This was the famous beatnik poet's second appearance at the University in the past few months. Ginsberg participated in a three-day Steinberg Symposium alongside colleague Robert Creely in October.