For at least one musical group on campus, sounding good is second only to doing good. Penn Musicians Against Homelessness, in its sixth year at the University, performs at several events each semester and donates all of the proceeds from its shows to aid the homeless. "We have a two-fold function," said College senior Dan Coelho, one of the group's co-chairpersons. "To be Penn's only student-run outlet for classical music and to raise money to aid the homeless." According to Coelho, the group is a member of the Performing Arts Council and receives funding from the Student Activities Council to publicize concerts and rent rehearsal space. Although their concerts are free, the musicians have raised a substantial amount of money for the homeless through donations they receive at the door. "We broke about a $1,000 last semester and we've raised about $500 so far this semester without our big show," said Wharton junior John Liang, the group's treasurer. Nearly all of this money has been given to the University City Hospitality Coalition, he added. Aside from their financial support, the musicians also pride themselves in bringing their music to the community. Several members of the group recently organized the West Philadelphia Music Education Program to give music lessons to inner-city children. Some members also volunteer their time through the Penn Volunteer Network to help the homeless directly. College junior Jennifer Lynch, who co-chairs the musicians, said homelessness is a relevant topic in West Philadelphia and merits the group's attention. "I think it's something that we see a lot around campus, around the Penn area," she said. "[This connection] makes it very easy for a Penn group to make a link to the community." And the group is also expanding its appeal to students. According to Coelho, the group had around 40 members at the end of last semester. More than 70 students attended this semester's introductory meeting. "We're at a point now where we're starting to be recognized at Penn and in the community," he added. College junior Darlene Pitt said she joined the group because of its musical appeal. "I'm a musician and it's basically a good organization," she said. Although the group does perform a major concert each semester, rehearsals are primarily left to individual members. Smaller groups of musicians often practice together, but the group rarely rehearses as a whole. In spite of this, the group has already performed at Performing Arts night and the parents' brunch during Family Weekend. Members also plan to go caroling during the next few weeks. The group's formal concert is scheduled for December 10 at 8 p.m. in Dunlop Auditorium.