Nobody gave standing ovations, and no one played "Hail to the Chief." But at yesterday's University Council meeting, University President Judith Rodin and Provost Stanley Chodorow gave "State of the University" addresses to explain where the University has gone and where it is going. Unlike State of the Union addresses, however, Rodin and Chodorow invited other administrators to speak about various specific issues, ranging from the Campaign for Penn to the University's dealings with outside media. During Rodin's presentation, Vice President of Health Systems Gordon Williams, Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations Virginia Clark, Interim Executive Vice President Jack Freeman and University Secretary Barbara Stevens spoke on various topics. Rodin reviewed her ideas for the "seamless" undergraduate experience and emphasized the global environment graduates will be entering. "We must ensure that every Penn student is prepared upon graduation to live and work in?global communities," she said, adding that recent political changes in America may adversely affect higher education. Rodin said personal safety was of the utmost importance and emphasized community partnerships, technology and the use of limited resources in economical ways. She also discussed the progress of several pending initiatives and reports, including the Commission on Strengthening the Community. "Much has been accomplished," she said. "We have 13 recommendations completed, one rejected and 48 in progress. And there are two required of [The Daily Pennsylvanian] over which we have no control." During the president's address, Williams discussed the medical school and the effects of the health care debate, while Clark emphasized the Campaign for Penn and the importance of alumni involvement in the University. Freeman said he is focusing on how to "contain costs and free resources to maintain the University's primary initiatives in teaching and research." Council allowed for questions following Rodin's address. Undergraduate Assembly member and College sophomore Josh Gottheimer asked Rodin to state her position on Greek rush within the Commission's recommendations. In response, Rodin read from the report and reaffirmed the administration's commitment to having fraternities and sororities conduct rush in the spring during the 1995-96 school year. Other questions ranged in topic from financial aid to the University's relationship with community hospitals. Chodorow then gave his report. He discussed appointments to the committee on the undergraduate experience, financial planning, admissions, capital planning and faculty recruitment. Chodorow said a "sense of improvement and renewal" pervaded the faculty in a "good year" for faculty recruitment. He focused on research and graduate school issues, adding that support for minority graduate students has increased. The provost also discussed opportunities for exchanges with other universities for doctoral students and said he hoped more contact between faculty in graduate schools, such as the Medical School, and undergraduates would increase. Acting Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum also spoke during the provost's address. A short period of questioning followed the provost's address as well. Daily Pennsylvanian Staff Writer Lisa Levenson contributed to this article.