The winds of change were blowing hard during the month of March at the University, and all aspects of student life were caught in the maelstrom. Soon-to-be-seniors chose a new class board, the United Minorities Council selected its next chairperson and vice-chairperson, and the Undergraduate Assembly named its chairperson in hotly-contested races. McGinn Security Services guards were found sleeping on the job in campus residences for the second time in as many years, leading to a re-evaluation of the security responsibilities allocated to the Department of Residential Living. Over the summer, the University replaced McGinn guards with Allied Security guards. The University Board of Trustees approved a tuition and fees increase of 5.7 percent for the current academic year. Administration officials explained the hike as needed to cover the University's growing operating expenses. But former Interim President Claire Fagin pledged to continue need-blind admissions. Sigma Delta Tau sorority sisters said they were happy to see work on their chapter's new Walnut Street house begin, while the University denied provisional recognition to the Psi Upsilon fraternity, better known as the Castle. Although much of the controversy that marked March was contained to campus, the University was also making news on the national and international fronts in March. University alumnus Luis Donaldo Colosio, who was favored by many to become the next president of Mexico, was assassinated at a campaign stop in Tiajuana. Former College of Arts and Sciences Dean Matthew Santirocco announced plans to leave the University to become dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at New York University, provoking an outpouring of praise for his commitment to undergraduate education from faculty members and administrators. "PENNdemonium" reigned when the Quakers pulled off a first-round upset of the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers in the NCAA Basketball Tournament. But the University of Florida Gators snapped the Red and Blue winning streak in the second round of the Big Dance.