Three additional University physicians will join the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences next fall for the group's annual meeting. Dr. Jerome Strauss, III, professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and director of the Center for Research on Women's Health and Reproduction, and Anesthesia Department Chairperson David Longnecker will be the two new members representing the Medical Center. Professor of Nursing Ann Burgess will be the third University representative. Twenty-nine members of the University community have been elected by the Institute since 1983, University spokeswoman Barbara Beck said. Fifty new members from around the country will attend their first meeting next October, bringing the total active membership of the group to 493. The Institute, which was established in 1970, prepares statements and reports regarding issues related to human health. The group also responds to requests from the federal government and other agencies for studies and advice on issues related to medicine and health. In addition to these duties, the Institute promotes public awareness regarding its work and promotes communication with major scientific and professional societies concerned with similar issues. Dr. Strauss said the group is "broadly based." "At least a quarter of the members have to be drawn from other than the health professions," he said last week. The new members of the Institute from the University will bring their own specialties and perspectives to the group. Dr. Strauss has made contributions to women's health issues and has advocated for more research funding. Dr. Longnecker is the president of the American Board of Anesthesiology and has made major research contributions to the understanding of blood flow and oxygen delivery to tissues during shock, trauma and surgery. Burgess specializes in issues of victimization. "It hits every area of nursing," she explained last week. "Nursing has had to deal with this on a more front-line basis." Dr. Longnecker said he is pleased to be named a member of the Institute. "It's a wonderful recognition," he said. "It's such a prestigious organization."