New challenges face fraternities and sororities after centuries of ups and downs Stacey Sarfatti and Jill Tanen As fraternities and sororities prepare to confront the future, new challenges are sure to await them. Among these are the University's interaction with the Greek system, members participation in community service and the need to inform the University community about student interests. Fraternity and sorority presidents describe the relationship between the University's Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs and the students in the Greek system as a good one. They attribute this positive connection to OFSA's willingness to respond to the need for change. The implication of this relationship, they added, is a future that includes more student involvement and input. Alpha Epsilon Pi President Gregg Adelman said OFSA is supportive of the Greek system even when there are other parts of the University administration that are pressuring for changes in the system. "OFSA is not out to get us," the College junior said. Adelman cites OFSA's reaction to the Commission on Strengthening the Community's recommendation to delay fraternity and sorority rush until sophomore year as an example of cooperation between OFSA and the Greek system. "OFSA agrees that if change is done then changes should be done with the consultation of OFSA," Adelman said. Ultimately, a decision about rush in the Greek system will be made by higher levels of the University administration, but OFSA will have to implement the decision. Wendy Rottenberg, president of Phi Sigma Sigma, agreed that OFSA works well in organizing day-to-day activities for the Greek system. "The Greek Social Action Committee is under reorganization," she said. "OFSA has been helping out in that area." OFSA Director Tricia Phaup said in an interview earlier this week that in the last two years an emphasis has been placed on giving more control of the Greek system to students. The Greek Peer Judicial Board is an example of this. The GPJB is a group of students from the three Greek umbrella organizations that enforces the Greek system's alcohol policies. Two student members, in addition to a member of the Greek Alumni Council, go around to fraternity and sorority parties to make sure that houses are not violating any alcohol policies. Rottenberg said the GPJB, in conjunction with OFSA, holds hearings to decide how chapters who have violated alcohol policies are to be punished. She added that these chapters are usually put on social probation. Adelman said unless a chapter has a severe violation of the policy, generally the matter is handled internally by the GPJB and OFSA. Flagrant violations can be reported to the University's judicial system, he added. Aside from maintaining a positive relationship with the administration, Greek officials also said that ties with the University community and the Philadelphia community at-large are an important component of Greek life. They added that this component relies heavily on philanthropic events, and some commented that they see these as playing a larger and larger part of fraternity and sorority goings-on. Rottenberg said she has observed a growing tendency towards charity in recent months. "We're definitely trying to include a lot more community service into our program," she said. "Phi Sig tries to do whatever the sisters want to do, and recently we've had a lot more requests to do more community service activities." The College senior added that this increase in charitable events has helped to foster a better relationship with the public. "I think it's improved over the years, for the reason that we've been doing more programs and events," she said of the relationship. Beta Theta Pi President Ira Weidhorn said he has not noticed any recent change in the amount of community service his house provides, but said that Beta has traditionally made philanthropy a regular part of fraternity life. "I'd say we're pretty constant in our involvement year to year," said the College and Wharton senior. "We try to have the same number of events a year, and try to focus our energies on stuff that has been successful." Andrew Cowen, social chair for the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, said the goal of his house is not simply to contribute to charitable causes or to foster an image of a positive social atmosphere, but to do so in a way that encompasses the entire University community. Cowen cited the September "bed race" hosted by his fraternity as one such unifying occasion. He said the event served a dual purpose by both raising money for the Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania and by recruiting and thereby bringing together both Greeks and non-Greeks. "We think the event is a great unifying factor," said the Wharton sophomore. "Members of the entire community get together and have a good time." Cowen added that while social and philanthropic doings are important, the general reputation of a house should project an image that is both diversified but cohesive and welcoming. He said the most significant obligation of his house is "to provide a house where a lot of different people can come and feel comfortable, whether it's a party or just hanging around. "I'd like [people] to view us as a diversified house that cares about its community and wants to add nothing but positive things to the University," he added. Delta Delta Delta sorority President Melissa London agreed that giving to the University is a top priority when it comes to Greek life. London alluded to the pancake breakfast that her house sponsored earlier in the semester, which raised more than $3,000 for children's cancer research. "I know philanthropy has always been a big goal of ours," said the College senior. "Obviously we want to contribute in the future. We hope to keep on growing." The future holds not only a growth of events and activities, but an expansion of the Greek system as a whole. Although Greek organizations in the past have primarily provided a social outlet for students, new organizations are rapidly being founded to appeal to specific interests of students. Kappa Delta Phi is the first Asian American interest sorority that has been recognized by the University. It is currently applying for recognition by the Bicultural Inter-Greek Council. "We started Kappa Delta Phi so that women with Asian American interests could have a formalized voice on campus," said College junior Charissa Huan, president of KDPhi. The sorority does not aim to be purely social. Rather it concentrates on community service projects and educational lectures on Asian American issues. "Our aim is to help challenge the lives of Kappa Delta Phi sisters and expand their horizons," Huan added. "To do this we would like to provide role models, who have a connection to Asian American interests." Already this year the sorority has presented a lecture entitled, "Decisions, Decisions...Culture Career and Compromise." The lecture's aim was to discuss the evolving roles and perceptions of Asian Pacific American women in society. Other Greek organization under the umbrella of the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council are also seeking to increase Greek participation in community service projects. Acacia, a fraternity that has been absent for a year and a half, has returned with six new members. Their objective as a fraternity is to concentrate on academia and community service. This year all members are volunteering at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. "The new Acacia is an alternative to traditional Greek organizations," said College junior Adam Coates, president of Acacia, "Our fraternity's motto is involvement in strategic human service. We believe in forming a close tie with a certain organization and devoting our time volunteering there." Coates added that as more Greek organizations are forced to deal with issues of discipline, more fraternities will focus more time to community service projects. In the eyes of most students, the Greek system does not seem to be diminished in any way as a viable social and community service option. "Interest in joining a brotherhood or sisterhood will not diminish any time soon," said Wharton freshman Darren Levy. "One of the great aspects of the University is the social life provided by the Greek system." College freshman Randy Stein added that "for new students, the Greek system is their first introduction to college life. I think it will remain strong, if not grow in the future."