In the spirit of international cooperation and environmental preservation, 28 Russian scientists joined their American academic colleagues for a traditional pot-luck dinner last week in Hayden Hall. The dinner offered both groups the opportunity to interact in an informal, social atmosphere, according to Geology Business Administrator Karen Taylor, who planned the event in conjunction with the Institute for Environmental Studies. Geology Professor and Department Chairperson Hermann Pfefferkorn welcomed the capacity crowd by explaining the philosophy behind a pot-luck dinner. "You take the luck of the pots the participants brought," he said, adding that the guests would also be enjoying a whole roasted pig -- prepared authentically by a South Philadelphia family -- as part of their meal. Less than one month ago, IES submitted a grant application to the United States Agency for International Development to fund the geographical information systems conference that brought the Russians -- who live in the Tyumen region of western Siberia -- to campus. Taylor said she was pleased with the turnout at the dinner, which she estimated at approximately 70 people. The group included graduate and undergraduate Geology students, faculty members and Russian speakers affiliated with the University or living in the Philadelphia area. Russian geologist Valentina Gontchazova said through an interpreter that while at the University, she has learned a great deal from lectures on computerized images, geographical measurement theory and mapping techniques. "We will use this material that we get from lecture in our work in Russia," said Gontchazova, who deals primarily with the research and development of petroleum deposits. "We get a very new approach here." She added that although this is her first trip to the United States, she has found Americans to be very friendly. "Almost everybody can realize his own scientific potential or social potential in this country," Gontchazova said. "Life values here differ -- individuals have priority. In Russia, priority was and stays for [the] group." Second-year Geology graduate student Jackie Frizano, who took some of the visiting scholars to shop at Caldor one last week, said most of the scientists just want to absorb more American culture. "They were very interested in electronics," she said. "All of them wanted to drive the [University] van."