Just like the backstage crew of a production, certain members of the University administration work a great deal on every issue facing the campus, but rarely see the spotlight. Assistant to the President Stephen Steinberg has served for three different presidents in his four years in the position. He has been at the University for more than 16 years. Assistant to the Provost Linda Koons has also served for three different provosts, although she has been in her present office since 1987. She has been with the University since 1967 in other capacities. Both agree that their jobs are behind the scenes staff positions and both said there are advantages and disadvantages to these circumstances. "We're not used to being the center of attention," Koons said. "A successful assistant of the president or provost doesn't develop their own strong personality because it gets in the way of what their boss is doing." She added that she feels frustrated when she wants to respond to certain people or situations but cannot because "it may not be in [the provost's] interests to get angry with that person." Steinberg suggested that staff, priorities, styles and work habits change during each new presidency. But he added that his role has remained "constant." "While the day-to-day style and work habits and office organization has changed, my own work has remained relatively the same," he said. "It is extremely diverse and because of that, it is very interesting." Both Koons and Steinberg said they attempt to help their bosses in any way possible. Steinberg said his position means "doing whatever the president needs done." "That can run the gamut from solving a student's problem to developing a policy or representing the president at a meeting or event," he said. Koons, who also held the assistant to the provost position when she first came to the University under then-Provost David Goddard, voiced similar sentiments. She said her role is "to do what the provost wants done." "That role is never changing," she said. "It doesn't make any difference who the provost is." However, both said the responsibilities they have and issues they confront change as administrators come and go. In addition, they said the position changes depending on the president or provost's nature and character. Koons said working for Goddard meant putting out the then-monthly Almanac, writing speeches and sometimes opening the provost's mail. But since then the position has changed, along with her superiors. Koons said working for Provost Stanley Chodorow has brought new changes to her position, especially because Chodorow is new to the University. She spends a great deal of time providing him with historical information on University issues, she said. "I had no idea whether I could work with Stan or whether he could work with me, but I really like working for him now," Koons said. Chodorow, she added, enjoys arguing and thinking out loud, and faculty may not be used to that. "He is still an outsider but as he meets more and more faculty members, I think they will become more comfortable with him," Koons added. Steinberg said University President Judith Rodin is bringing past issues he has dealt with "to fruition." "Certain things like undergraduate education have been priority issues for each administration," he said. "Issues evolve as the campus community evolves and now the new president's initiative builds on all the work that has been done." Another issue Koons and Steinberg face is how the president and provost and their offices interact and how mutual responsibilities are delegated. Koons and Steinberg said their time at the University has seen many changes, but also many similarities. "There has been a continual evolution despite the ups and downs and crises of the moment," Steinberg said. But even with all the changes, the two assistants say they generally enjoy their work. "I wouldn't have stayed with Penn so long if I didn't like it," Koons said.